CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Power windows,,,

caz1986

Hi,

I was out working on my 71 Eldorado yesterday, i was trying to get all the power windows to work when i ran into a problem with the last window (the rear quarter window passengerside).

It's like window is loose or something, i can move it around in the socket and it doesn't go up and down right like the window on the other side.

And when it's up the angle is wrong it doesn't line up with the passanger side window at the frontseat.

Now i've tried to look for information in my shop manual and in haynes, but no luck. I've searched on the internet but still nothing, so i really hope that this forum can help.

Thank you

Casper

To begin with, there were only two styles for the 1971 Eldorado, a convertible and a hardtop coupe, neither of which had a rear window that opened. You can look at the VIN to determine exactly which model you have. This web page will help you interpret your car's VIN:

The car may be a Coupe de Ville.

Given that, your car is a hardtop (no B pillar, windows are free-standing with weatherstripping on the front edge of the rear window), I would guess that the guides inside the body panels are worn or that the window is off the track. If so, you will need to remove the upholstery that covers the window mechanism and repair or replace the worn or bent window track or mechanism.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I know what kind of car i have, i have a 1971 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible. I think you misunderstood me, when i wrote rear quarter window passengerside, i'm talking about the quarter side window, the little window for the passengers in the backseat.

I have already removed the side panel so that i can look at the mechanism, and it seems that some kind of plastic rollers isn't in the right place anymore, so i think they are the problem, but i can't find any information on how to put them back in place.

But there might be something else wrong, that's why i hope someone in here can shine some light on how the window and the stuff inside works and perhaps how to assemble it all.

Casper

I'm sorry that I was wrong; I'm not at all familiar with the 1971 model year Cadillacs, but went by less-than-clear photographs from the Cadillac History web page on the 18971 Eldorado, which seemed to show no rear window on the convertibles and hardtops.

Perhaps the simplest thing to do is to take the side panel off the other side and see if you can work the mechanism on the bad side to look like the mechanism on the good side. How to do this is another matter; if you can't figure out a way that you are comfortable with, and you don't want to deal with a local body shop or similar outfit, you might try to find a factory shop manual on eBay.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived