CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1997 DEVILLE

sconerd

Hi I am new to site and wondered if anyone could help me with my problem as ive tried to understand code 204

I will get a slight miss and smell gas and it will smoke untill gas burned out as i drive then run good,intermittant problem.I was able to get a timbing light on it,the first time I had intermittant spark on # 4 wire,Replaced coil pack and ran great for 3 days till same same problem 204 and gas smell/miss but good spark at all plug wires I also replaced the #4 injector with a good used one still same problem. I have always dade o2 codes 104 and 1139 prob from old moter blown head gasket damaged o2 sensors

Could my ignition control module be the problem?

THANKS FOR ANY HELP,Steve AS I REALLY LOVE MY 65 FORD -SPARK $15-GAS $50-RUNS GREAT PRICELESS

:welcomesmiley:

An OBD II device trouble code (OBD code) has the form

PCM P0204 HISTORY

where the first three letters are an acronym for the module that produced the code (one of about ten), a letter (P, C, B, or U) indicating the type of code, and four numerical digits. This is followed by HISTORY or CURRENT, depending on whether the problem is currently being detected.

If you're not already using the HVAC and dashboard to read the codes, then, while the key is on, press the <Off> and <Passenger Warmer> buttons at the same time for several seconds until all the lights come on. Then, the driver information center (DIC) will check the codes in the modules one at a time. Please write them *all* down and post them here.

From the numbers in your post here, this is what I can figure out:

P0204 Injector 4 Control Circuit

B0104 Electronic Frontal Sensor Circuit

P0104 Mass Air Flow Circuit Intermittent

P1139 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Insuff. Switching Bank 1 Sensor

The wires to the injector for #4 seem to be the problem. I would make sure that this wiring is not crossing one of the plug wires. The ignition on the Northstar is very high energy and the plug wires must be dressed across the intake maifold just right to avoid cross-fire or interference with the other wiring, particularly the wiring to the fuel injectors.

Your signature says that you really like a 1965 Ford. I had a 1959 Chevrolet and a 1969 Chevrolet that I drove for seven years each but neither holds a candle to my 1997 Cadillac ETC for reliability, performance (the 1969 was a 400 hp 427 cid big block!), cost of operation, and gas mileage. Those older cars are great, if you don't drive them much, though.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

:welcomesmiley:

An OBD II device trouble code (OBD code) has the form

PCM P0204 HISTORY

where the first three letters are an acronym for the module that produced the code (one of about ten), a letter (P, C, B, or U) indicating the type of code, and four numerical digits. This is followed by HISTORY or CURRENT, depending on whether the problem is currently being detected.

If you're not already using the HVAC and dashboard to read the codes, then, while the key is on, press the <Off> and <Passenger Warmer> buttons at the same time for several seconds until all the lights come on. Then, the driver information center (DIC) will check the codes in the modules one at a time. Please write them *all* down and post them here.

From the numbers in your post here, this is what I can figure out:

P0204 Injector 4 Control Circuit

B0104 Electronic Frontal Sensor Circuit

P0104 Mass Air Flow Circuit Intermittent

P1139 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Insuff. Switching Bank 1 Sensor

The wires to the injector for #4 seem to be the problem. I would make sure that this wiring is not crossing one of the plug wires. The ignition on the Northstar is very high energy and the plug wires must be dressed across the intake maifold just right to avoid cross-fire or interference with the other wiring, particularly the wiring to the fuel injectors.

Your signature says that you really like a 1965 Ford. I had a 1959 Chevrolet and a 1969 Chevrolet that I drove for seven years each but neither holds a candle to my 1997 Cadillac ETC for reliability, performance (the 1969 was a 400 hp 427 cid big block!), cost of operation, and gas mileage. Those older cars are great, if you don't drive them much, though.

Thank you for your info as I didnt know about the way I might have routed plug and elect wires,I will verify and correct as needed,I will reset codes and recheck all connections and

post findings

and your right about old cars and the caddy is very nice when running correctly,that is why I want to fix it `

Thanks again for your time and help,Steve

Archived