CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Tire sizes

danbuc

Hi, I have a '98 STS with the stock 16" rims. They recomend using 235/60/R16 size tires but it seems to be a very rare size. Every where I've looked, most of the nice tires either come in 245/60/R16 or 235/50/R16. The fisrt has a wider diameter which I'm unsure about because I don't want to risk rolling the side wall off the rims in hard cornering. The second has a shorter sidewall which could potentially cause the speedometer to read improperely, which I don't want to mess with. If I can, I would like to go with the wider tire instead of the shorter tire. Does anyone know if it's safe to change the tire size withount having problems with handling? Thanks in advance :)

If the 245/60/R16 size tires are ok I will get those because they are easier to get and a little wider which adds to stability. I just wanted to know 'cause I'm planning to get a new set of tires on Saturday but wasn't sure. Since the 245/60/R16 size will fit I will get those cause more companies make tires in that size. Thanks for clarifying that. :D

At the risk of going against popular opinion - consider my choice:

225/60R-16

That size will fit just fine on your car, and your availability selection will skyrocket since that size is so much more popular. 225/60R-16 was the original size on the STS when it debuted, and personally I think the only reason they went to the 235 was for image/look. Now - put your ego aside and consider this: Recognizing that 225 tires have less rolling resistance and less weight than the 235 tires - your car WILL be quicker with the 225 tires. This has been proven by GM engineer(s) who has posted here about putting SLS tires (225/60R-16) on STS' and noting the marked improvement in acceleration times.

I'd seriously consider putting 225/60R-16 tires on. The change in 'image' will negligible and only noticeable if you REALLY look for it, and you'll pick up acceleration AND fuel economy.

~Doc

Archived