CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Replace exhaust pipe

thebadguy

Hey everyone,

Just wondered if anyone used a different exhaust pipe from the converter to the mufflers? She's starting to get loud and it rusted out right at the "Y" that splits it into two pipes right before the mufflers. Its in a very bad and hard to reach spot. Would be difficult if not impossible to weld...any suggextions or pipe other than OEM.

thanks

thebadguy

Any muffler shop can make a new one and weld it together. Most muffler shops don't have mandrel benders though so if you are really concerned about performance exhaust flow then you will probably have to buy an aftermarket y-pipe (from flowmaster or something) and then have them weld that in.

I thought that the exhaust system was guarenteed againt corrosion or rust for the life of the vehicle on Cadillac's. Ask your local dealer first because if that is the case, replace it for free. I believe that this applies to all newer caddy's but I'm not entirely sure. Check it out first 'cause if you don't have to spend any money to fix it, thats always a good thing. Hope this helps ;)

I don't know, but I've never heard of a lifetime guarantee on the OE parts. They probably deserve that guarantee, but I've never heard of GM backing that in the field.

That pipe from the converter to the y-pipe is very specifically bent (check out the contorsions it goes through), but it's 100% mandrel bent and is super high quality, when made of stainless steel. Perhaps the '95s didn't have that, but I'm sure that most all GMs since the mid-late 1980s had stainless steel exhaust from the factory. My friend had an '87 Cutlass with a stainless exhaust that he removed in favor of a dual exhaust, and I took it off and used it on my '87 Buick Regal. :)

Even if you can't get it for free at the dealer, I'd highly recommend those parts, since there seems there would be little error for a mis-bent pipe, in terms of the pipe rubbing a heat shield.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

A lot of cars have stainless for original exhaust but as far as lifetime guarantee I'm sure it only extends to original purchaser . Bye the way my 94 had stainless on it when I bought it second hand (supposedly original ) & I replaced the original mufflers because they where coming apart at the seams . The original exhaust or oe systems are usually crafted from the lower grade stainless (yes I think this includes Caddy ) most aftermarket systems are the higher grade stainless ( I can get the grade numbers if you need ) . My new Magnaflow mufflers have a lifetime warranty to me .

Ditto with what Jason and vantasticdude said. I had the exact same split on my Y pipe and tried a couple cobb jobs to hold her together until my replacement pipe came in. Pricey little bugger but no one else seemed to have the correct size. OE was $163.55 (including hangers) and probably the last Y pipe I'll have to replace on this caddy. Some of the aftermarket ones i looked at were smaller in diameter at points. No thanks.... give me the good stuff.

Stainless = forever...hardly. My stainless mufflers punched holes from the inside out. The inside layer rotted out and the pressure just punched through the very thin outer stainless layer. The two things that can be said about having or going with stainless is that it'll look sharp and last a long time. Much longer then non- stainless systems.

I'll bet your caddy sounds mighty mean with that split joint. I liked my sound until the split widened.... then it just sounded like a trash heap.

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Archived