CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

PC based scan tools

hiljak

I have used this interface box http://obddiagnostics.com/index.html for several years and can report it does a decent job with powertrain items.

You can graph O2 senor activity, see fuel trim both short and long term, airflow, ignition timing, among others. Depends on what data the engine is reporting (and that varies quite a bit).

Download the software and run it in "Simulate" mode.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

JimD, I like that that tool is available in a "build it yourself" kit. I looked and the software simulation but I don't have much expirience with scan tools so I don't really know if anything is missing. Maybe someone can check it out that has used a scan tool before.

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

Let me know how this works out. I downloaded both programs today, and they appear to be very similar. So similar in fact, I would suspect that either program would work with either interface unit. I'm leaning toward building the kit, but the price difference between the "hard to get" stuff and the complete unit is only $33.00 or so. I find myself asking what my time is worth. Now, if that were a 50% savings, I'd build it myself without question.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

.... I'm leaning toward building the kit, but the price difference between the "hard to get" stuff and the complete unit is only $33.00 or so. I find myself asking what my time is worth....

Some IC's can be hard to find in quantities of less than 100. You probably know the propietory chip is Motorola plus a LM339N.

The box I purchased has sockets for the 2 chips (nice touch).

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Actually, the circuit board, the housing, and the connector that plugs in to the car are the best parts, the ones hardest to find. (the housing (box) is an "if, but it has some graphics at least) I just don't think it's worth $33.00 for me to go out and have all the parts sent to me...I'd rather just buy the completed unit. In fact, I don't think anybody is making a killing on this unit, it's priced quite fairly.

The 16F84A-20/P, manufacturer MCH (microchips) is $6.20 each by itself, $3.88 if you buy 25 or more. The LM339M manufacturer TI (Texas Instruments) is $.52 ea. or $.47 if you buy 100 or more. Would anyone happen to have a manufacturer or part number for the plug?

ANYWAY, I'm still unsure what this thing will do for me once I buy it. Can I reset the Check Engine light with it? Will it tell me why the check engine light is on? All that fuel trim info is cool, but what can I do with it? Same for the other info. Yes, if it would tell me which O2 sensor was bad and would allow me to reset the SES, it would be a great value the first time I used it.

ANYWAY, I'm still unsure what this thing will do for me once I buy it. Can I reset the Check Engine light with it? Will it tell me why the check engine light is on? All that fuel trim info is cool, but what can I do with it? Same for the other info. Yes, if it would tell me which O2 sensor was bad and would allow me to reset the SES, it would be a great value the first time I used it.

My experience, and the interface box in question, relate to OBDII vehicles.

You can reset the Check Engine light (or SES), same as with the Caddy on-board buttons.

It will report the same DTCs that the Caddy on-board system reports.

Fuel trim data provides clues as to O2 sensor sensitivity and PCM-to-injector PWM command responses (closed loop feedback).

Graphing the O2 sensor voltage variations and rates allows you to evaluate if the O2 sensors and the PCM are communicating / operating as intended (dependent on which O2 sensor is being monitored).

Bottom line. An inexpensive tool for OBDII vehicles as regards "P" codes. And that is worth repeating: Powertrain is the limit!

MOST useful with vehicles other than Cadillacs with on-board display. I have used my interface / software to retrieve and evaluate other GM and CHRYCO brand "P" codes with success (no FOMOCO wheels in the family).

I am not in the auto repair (or any other) business and I have no connection with the interface board maker other than being a satisfied customer / user. And yes, there are attornies in the extended family, LOL.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Thanks for the explanation JimD. It sounds like it might be a useful tool to have around, especially if you have cars other than Caddys in the family.

I purchased one of these all in one interfaces. Its a bit high but works great. I have a 97 STS, a 96 Toyota Camry and A chevy 2002 S-10. I have used it on all it works without and problems. Software is free to download and has all the features of a professional unit.

http://www.obd-2.com/

Archived