CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

97 Fuel Rail Recall?

bigboy6998

A lady at GM customer service center told me that only the 95 Auroras were part of the GM Recall No.04014. I read her a letter from the www.recalls.gov website (RCFK-04V110-4218.pdf) Subject: GM is expanding this recall to include an additional 389,905 MY 1995-1997 Cadillac Eldo, Seville, Deville model vehicles equipped with V* LD8 and L37 engines. Some of these vehicles have a condition in chich the nylon tubing used in the fuel rail construction may degrade or crack.

Now my problem is that Friday, i noticed a smell of gas, popped the hood and took off the valve cover (as being aware of the recall) and noticed a damp spot on the manifold and a greenish bluish haze... Upon seeing this i when back to the ingintion and turn the key, not to start but just before. went back to the rail, and what do i see a steady stream of fuel being dumped on top of my engine. Hard to say how much but its enuf to collect at the base of the manifold. Now my problem is that by car has a VIN of ***VU601196..... The lady above said the recall is for VIN SU600001-SU625320 so what is the diffrenece with the V vs the S in the VIN and what about the letter i refrenced above that has a chart of year manuf. and QTY affected but on the chart for the VIN affected all the info is blank but for the Auroras?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Keenan

RCFK_04V110_4218.pdf

I just returned from the Cadillac dealer. I had the same problem and was told to bring it in this morning for an inspection. It turns out that there is some misinformation out there. The NHTSA notice is in error. I saw tha actual GM recall and it only includes '95's. The tech made a phone call to Cadillac technical service and what I was told is that there was a problem with the way the '95 fuel rails were joined together and the leaks were at the joints. A different proccess was used from '96 on to correct it. I would strongly recommend you file a report with the NHTSA. If they get enough reports GM may expand this recall but as of now '96 and up is our problem, not GM's.

Done and Done, I filed the comlaint right after i posted the previous post. Gave my cell number incase they need to reach me. Hopefully they come out withit in the future so i can get my 385.16 back.... by the way does that sound like a good estimate? any one else paid for it or had it done with Gm paying and saw how much?

I just returned from the Cadillac dealer. I had the same problem and was told to bring it in this morning for an inspection. It turns out that there is some misinformation out there. The NHTSA notice is in error. I saw tha actual GM recall and it only includes '95's. The tech made a phone call to Cadillac technical service and what I was told is that there was a problem with the way the '95 fuel rails were joined together and the leaks were at the joints. A different proccess was used from '96 on to correct it. I would strongly recommend you file a report with the NHTSA. If they get enough reports GM may expand this recall but as of now '96 and up is our problem, not GM's.

There have been further notices than what you were shown... see the recalls.gov wesite and the pdfs i have listed above.... no mistake that one pdf spcificaly covers 96-97 all models, i beleive it is from the GOV. so isnt it up to cadillac to comply with the CFR's recomedation?... i know thats how it works here in the rail industry when repairing rail cars if anything is messed up with anything it is the repairer or builders responsibilty to get the cars back ASAP while paying for all damages, and if anything messes up with thoses cars in there trip to be fixed (e.g. leaking tank of Ammonia gas...shut down the entire town) that they or we or whoever is responisble for the payments of litigation or clean up or any other costs thereof. so i would assume that this would work in a similar manner... either they can not recall stuff and pay for the lawsuites or issue a recall and pay for it (any one see fight club?)

keenan

I have a copy of the recall on GM letterhead showing the recall affecting 96/97 cars as well, dated APril 16, 2004, so I know GM knows about it. As for the VIN, the S and V are model years. "V" being the 1997 model year.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

ok and S=95 So im left with the question as to what to do..... Shall i opt for no repair and let it idle in on the shoulder of a deserted road till it catches fire and let it burn... but then again i have 140k on it so i wont get much for it from the insurance company. Or i can pay for it now and hope that someday that they include it in the recall... To be part of the recall or to be part of the litigation that is the question? Progerssive has been telling me that it has been part of the recall since march according to their website... should i call and ask them? beign that the car might just catch fire in the next few days?

km

So im left with the question as to what to do..... Shall i opt for no repair and let it idle in on the shoulder of a deserted road till it catches fire and let it burn...

Call your local Cadillac dealership and tell them that you have a leaking fuel rail and you are requesting replacement under the national recall. Bring with you a printed-out version of the recall on GM letterhead as proof of the recall if your dealership feigns ignorance. Those documents were linked from this site by Logan (search using his name). If you can't find them, I can post them for you. I've called three dealerships in my area and all claim ignorance about the recall. But my rail's not leaking yet, so I'm not pressing the issue -- I'm going to wait until I get the notice in the mail. But since yours is an active safety issue, bring the recall printed on GM letterhead and let them figure out what to do -- at their expense.

ah ha NEW INFO talked with George Person w/ NHTSA Cheif(named at the bottom of one of the PDF's) and he confirmed that GM my 97 is part of the recall and that i should contact Ms. *smurf* Kent w/ GM Product Investigations. I tried to call but she was in a meeting... so i called the lady i spoke with earlier...she wasnt available either. so here i sit waiting for either GM customer service or Their product Investigator to call me back....

km

You're on the right track -- *smurf* Kent is the signee on this memo I have. She's listed as Director, Product Investigations. The memo says the recalls will be launched in May 2004 for 96-97 Auroras, in June 2004 for 95 Auroras, and August 2004 for the Cadillac models. So we, as Cadillac owners, should be just receiving notices in the mail. I haven't gotten mine yet. :o

Bigboy,

Keep us updated on this (names & numbers). This whole thing is really getting confusing. The notice that Logan posted is from the NHTSA not GM. The document I saw at the dealer today did not include '96 & '97's. If someone has a recall letter from GM for a '96 or '97 I sure would like to see it. Everyone I talk to at GM says the NHTSA document on the internet is in error. Mine is not leaking either, but I suspect it is only a matter of time and I would prefer to not find out the hard way.

Larry, I will post the PDF documents I have on my site tonight. I know Logan provided a link, but that must've got lost in the mail. The info I have is on GM letterhead, and signed by that *smurf* Kent woman, so it's legit. I haven't received a letter either, but allegedly some here have already been notified by mail? I think I remember reading that. Anyway, I'll post the info on my website tonight.

There were 2 letters that can be seen on www.recalls.gov One is dated April 16, 04 to MR. K.N. Weinstein w/ NHTSA from Ms. *smurf* Kent GM product investigator initiating the recall for 95-97 cadillacs with the V* LD8 and L37 engines into recall 04014 (orignaly auroras only) "The fuel rail assemblies in the cadillacs will be replaced" yada yada yada GM will launch this recall for 96-97 aurora in may 04, 95 auroras in june 04, and 95-97 eldo,seville, and devilles in august of 04.

The second letter is from Particia Wallace (George Persons is her boss or *smurf*.) acknowledging the recall letter and requesting a quarterly report will be due on july 30 '04.

Now i guess the question is when in august? i talked with Cheryl Zerbe at customer service GM @ 866-932-4368 # 38483 and she stands firm that being that GM hasnt initiated it there is nothing she can do... So she also contacted the service guy where my car is currently. (im sure he likes to hear crap like this) (you guys will also remeber my trouble with my blower cover with the missing plate that goes under the "CUT HERE TO REMOVE BLOWER" when they told me to leave the lot anyways thats another story that should be in the archive.

*smurf* KENTS number is 586-986-8029 and can be readly located on the first letter initiating the recall provided by the NHTSA's web site as well as Mr. Persons number being 202-366-5210 on the acknoledgment mentioned above

Just received my letter today on my 1995 STS for the recall. Called the dealer and he said "parts are in stock, drop it off in the morning"! I have smelled fuel a few times especially during the winter but had never seen any leaks and the odor never lasted. Always blamed it on the guy next to me! Now I wonder what the dealer is going to tell me I need to replace at MY expense during this repair!! Perhaps we should start a poll on this one. LOL Just kidding!

My 95 Aurora had a leak in the rail, not at a joint either,it was right in the middle between two injectors in the front. I did not know about the recall until I started searching for info on fixing it. After being told by the local dealers my 95 was not covered, I made a call to the GM 800 number and was told it would be taken care of at the dealer of my choice. This was about 5 or six weeks ago. The dealer had a twenty day back log on getting it done. I reminded him I did not need an inspection, my wife was driving this to work every day with fuel squirting on top of the manifold. He got it in the next day.

At that time he said mine was the first 95 they had put the new stainless rail on. Apparently there is some difference in the rail after 95, and the parts are just now making it into circulation.

This is the the dealer that did the work on mine in Lansing, Mi. University Story Olds 393-5700. Can't remember the service manager's name, but he hooked me up.

There really should not be such a mess getting this fixed. They should all just get done asap. I don't know how long my wife had been driving like this. I had drove it at least a week before I found it and I know I smelled gas when I stopped one time, but never thought it was my car doing it. The real reason I found it was because I pulled it in the garage to check things over under the hood and saw this little stream of gas arcing onto the manifold...I had left the cover off when I put new plugs and wires on a couple of months earlier.

Good luck to everyone getting it fixed.

Took the STS in this morning. Very courteous people, replaced the nylon rail with a stainless. Also noticed another recall, sealing of computer needed to be done and performed that as well. Complimented me on the condition of the car. Made me feel so bad that I had anticipated the worst I had to go back and tip the mechanic! LOL Time in dealer was 2 hours and 5 minutes total. Nice job!

Archived