CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1995 Eldorado ETC P083 / P053 codes - Interesting Symptoms

netplayn

Okay - here's my story...

I have a 1995 Eldorado ETC that I love - she has 204K miles on her

She has been driven VERY sparingly the last two years

During that time, she has had the following symptoms ...

* At around 30-35mph and mostly at around 60-65mph, which seem to be shifting speeds, she has "bucked" or "surged." This typically results in a CHECK ENGINE light - although NOT always. Upon turning the engine off and restarting, usually the check engine light will disappear.

* Went on a 3-hour trip just this last weekend. Was doing fine - traveling about 70mph. About 1.5 hours in, we hit 80mph and she started to buck and surge quite a bit - like constant. I backed off to 70mph, which caused the bucking and surging to reduce. The check engine light came on, and I continued to drive her for another 1.5 hours at 70mph with limited bucking/surging.

* Started her up, drove about 5 blocks, started to get on highway entrance ramp - she stalled. Coasted to shoulder, turned key off, and restarted her - no problems.

* Ride home had limited bucking/surging - kept her at about 65-70 mph.

* Came home, did some internet research, learned to pull and clear codes - had lots of codes - wrote them down but didn't write which were history and which were current. Cleared the codes.

* Drove her tonight. Was making a right turn on a slight incline from a stop sign - she STALLED on the turn! Ugh! Coasted to shoulder. Turned the key off and started right back up. Started driving again - rpms were jumping and she was bucking/surging. Stalled again shortly after. Stalled one more time. Got to destination about 3 miles away, had SERVICE ENGINE light - turned key off and immediately pulled codes.

* Codes were:

P053 (history) Distributor Signal Interrupt

P083 Crankshaft to Ignition Module Failure

P095 Engine Stall Detected (duh!)

During the last year, I've had the engine wires replaced. Two years ago, I replaced alternator, starter, battery, and tires/brakes.

I've been reading about people's experiences/symptoms with the P083 code - my car starts right up - I do NOT have a starting problem like everyone else seems to have with this code. Also - the P083 was NOT a code that I initially pulled the other day and cleared. I DID have the P053 the other day.

I am a bit leary to drive her at this point because I'm worried about stalling on the highway. Could this be a simple "loose wire" problem that is causing me so much grief?

Should I clear codes again and see what comes up again?

THANKS for your insight!

You have all the classic symptoms of a bad crankshaft position sensor (either A or B ). P083 has priority over P053 in that P083 will cause P053 to set; troubleshoot P083 first.

The P083 diagnostic procedure is a lengthy one which will allow you to determine whether it is sensor A or sensor B which needs replacement. Since the condition is intermittent I would save yourself the headache and simply replace both. If one is bad the other will not be far behind, especially at your mileage.

There's an outside chance it might be the Ignition Control Module (ICM), but the crank sensors are far and away the better bet. Check the ICM's electrical connector and make sure it is not burned. Also make certain the connector is firmly seated.

EDIT: I cannot seem to edit out the smiley which should be the letter "B" and a right close parens ")". That is, "(either A or B)."

EDIT AGAIN: I give up, Maybe I'll try again tomorrow.

MORE EDIT AGAIN: Thanks Carla (see below).

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I agree. It sounds like it's likely a bad connection on the ICM or a bad CKP sensor. If it's a sensor, you will likely develop a hard starting problem (engine cranks several times before it starts) in the near future if it's not replaced.

Warren, try putting a space between the B and the ). Lol.

( A or B )

I wonder if that's gonna come out right....laugh.gif

big4870885.jpg

I agree. It sounds like it's likely a bad connection on the ICM or a bad CKP sensor. If it's a sensor, you will likely develop a hard starting problem (engine cranks several times before it starts) in the near future if it's not replaced.

( A or B )

( A or B )

Thanks Carla!

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived