CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Long trips, radio gain, and factory oil?

JasonA

Lots of random thoughts as we just returned from a very pleasant 600-mile drive...

Went to northern Virginia (from southern North Carolina) for the weekend to do some apartment shopping for my brother who is moving there in March from Colorado. Traffic stunk, but other than that, no issues. The Caddy rides so nice. What a great road car. Returned to southwest Virginia last night for a visit and stay over at the in-laws and noted 26 mpg for the total round trip (includes about 8 hours of city driving on Saturday). Did the final leg of the trip back to Fayetteville this morning and got 29.2 mpg on that section. I'm happy to buy premium gasoline for the car if it'll return close to 30 mpg for me!

On one of the more boring sections of I-81 south, I started playing with the OBDs (don't try that at home kids) and stumped upon a "GAIN" reading under the IRC section. While playing a CD from the changer, the gain read somewhere above 200. But when tuning in a weak station, the gain would read below 100. Is the GAIN reading it spits out a relative value for the strength of the signal, does anyone know?

Also...does anyone know the factory oil fill for the Northstar engine? Mine is a '97, and I'm obviously curious about that year in particular, but I bet it's the same for many years running. I'm about to switch over to Chevron Supreme oil, based on recommendations from Guru and from the forum on bobistheoilguy.com. I was just curious what the factory fill was in the '90s.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

If I was your brother I'd stay in Colorado. Northern VA is not a nice place for driving :( I really miss the open (compared to VA) roads of central Texas. But, I guess the cushy jobs are here, so you give and take.

If I was your brother I'd stay in Colorado. Northern VA is not a nice place for driving But, I guess the cushy jobs are here, so you give and take.

That's what it is. He's at CO Springs for school, and got a job in northern VA, starting in March. I lived there during my high school years and then and now...have no inkling of the slightest bit of any desire to go back there! I like the much quieter life of southern North Carolina. The salaries are comparatively less, but real estate is 300% lower too, so there's give and take all over the place.

Whoops -- that was me posting...forgot to log in (on a different computer this morning). :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

• 4 months later...

:unsure:

Jadcock,

Where in the Sandhills are you from. I am building a house in Beacon Ridge at Seven Lakes in West End, NC and will be moving down there in a month or so??

Archived