CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Problem #9 Yeah!

epricedright

Ok, tonight I noticed the AC making a sort of clucking noise when it came on. It's coming from the compressor area for sure. Does the clutch (or clutch hub...not sure what I'm talking about again) make that noise when it goes bad? It only makes that noise when it cycles and when it's not cycling, it's quiet. I hear no bearing noise from the compressor when it's not cycling. It blows good cold air. What am I up against w/ #9? Is this something I should address now, or is it ok to run it making that noise. I don't want to do damage to anything else if possible. Clutches aren't too expensive to fix are they? Luckily a good friend of mine specializes in A.C. Scotty, I see you've been having similiar problems, and Big foo I saw your post...it's too funny were having the exact same problems in the same month. :lol: here's your post:

My A/C compressor makes a growling/ticking/grumbling type noise when the clutch is engaged. My power steering sounds like a mini supercharger/whistle.. I don't really remember if it sounded any different when I got the car.. i just assumed this was normal. It's not like one day it was quiet and the next day it was making noise. The power steering whine is a little interesting though :> Wonder if i can quiet that down without replacing the pump.. maybe flushing the system or something.. dunno.. the a/c i'm not even worried about it.. just let it run until it breaks :>

All a/c compressors make a decently loud click when the clutch engages and mine has made a not too loud grumbling noise for a long time when it's engaged. Kind of like a rat tat tat clattering noise with a low grumble.. the sound just came to me.. it's like a bicycle wheel on a 10 speed turning slowly with someone pedaling it of course. The only code i've gotten from the PCM is the a/c pressure was too high on occasion and it doesn't do it often. I don't use the a/c much in ohio so I could almost care less about it but i'd still like to know if it was normal or not........ I might go buy a gauge or just take it by an a/c shop to check the pressure or somethin just in case something is off I don't want to ruin the compressor. I'm more worried about the PS whine.

A bad clutch bearing will be noisy all the time. Clutch engaged or not. Actually a common problem. Most AC shops will tell you the only fix is a new compresor. Not true....

AC systems by nature make some noise. The 10 speed bike is a good description.

Overcharge a system. It starts making bad sounds. Kind of a slam clutch engagement.....noisy compressor.....lots of racket. Also a common problem. People just keep trying to put freon in....too much is as bad as too little.

Ok, tonight I noticed the AC making a sort of clucking noise when it came on. It's coming from the compressor area for sure. Does the clutch (or clutch hub...not sure what I'm talking about again) make that noise when it goes bad? It only makes that noise when it cycles and when it's not cycling, it's quiet. I hear no bearing noise from the compressor when it's not cycling. It blows good cold air. What am I up against w/ #9? Is this something I should address now, or is it ok to run it making that noise. I don't want to do damage to anything else if possible. Clutches aren't too expensive to fix are they? Luckily a good friend of mine specializes in A.C. Scotty, I see you've been having similiar problems, and Big foo I saw your post...it's too funny were having the exact same problems in the same month. :lol: here's your post:

My A/C compressor makes a growling/ticking/grumbling type noise when the clutch is engaged. My power steering sounds like a mini supercharger/whistle.. I don't really remember if it sounded any different when I got the car.. i just assumed this was normal. It's not like one day it was quiet and the next day it was making noise. The power steering whine is a little interesting though :> Wonder if i can quiet that down without replacing the pump.. maybe flushing the system or something.. dunno.. the a/c i'm not even worried about it.. just let it run until it breaks :>

GET SOME EAR PLUGS!!! :lol:

Hey, it is entirely possible that the 'power steering' whine you are getting is related to your AC hub bearing.... be careful replacing the power steering pump before you determine that it is in fact bad.. Check your serp belt to see if its cracked, dry and possibly slipping.. Also, check that your tensioner is free and providing proper pressure.

If you need a new AC hub, i have a new one on my shelf... Let me know, the hub is relatively easy to replace and you don't need to lose your freon to do it. Mike

Archived