CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Broken Glovebox Door Latch

The glovebox door on my '97 STS won't stay closed. Anyone else ever encounter this? I tried holding it closed and locking it with the key, no luck. It feels like there are some plastic prongs in the mechanism in the door and it feels like one is there but another is broken off. I couldn't find any broken plastic bits. On a related note, how do you remove the glovebox light bulb and/or unplug the wire going to it? I tried both and couldn't figure either out. A friend also gave them a try and couldn't do it either. I assume even this small bulb constantly burning will eventually drain my battery. Currently, I have an umbrella jammed in the seat holding the glove box door closed. Not a very practical long term solution.

I looked up the parts @ www.compine.com per a suggestion by benge in a thread entitled 'Interior Replacement Parts - need parts pictures' but couldn't determine which parts were the mechanism that keep the door latched. Any suggestions?

All the interior lights are on "Inadvertent power" which times out about 10 minutes after you leave the car. This includes the cigar lighters, vanity mirror lights, etc. The timer starts when the ignition is OFF and the last car door, trunk lid, or hood are closed (or opened). This power turns on again when you use the fob or open a door or otherwise disturb the car. This protects your battery from things like that. You can check this by getting out of the car when it is in the garage so that you can see the glove box light from outside the car, then coming back about 15 minutes later and seeing if the glove box light is out. Open a door and the light should turn on again.

The glove box and lock should be the same on 1992-2003 Eldorados and 1992-2997 Sevilles, other than the color of the glove box lid, which is nearly always light tan. Others with more experience than I in getting dashboard parts may cut that list down some.

But, your battery is safe and you don't need the umbrella to jam the glove box door shut.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

• 2 months later...
:D Finally got to the U pull R parts place. The Seville they had was missing the glove box door but found a Deville with the same door, pulled the latch. $5 + tax. Only problem is the tan color. Any ideals on how to get it black, paint?

I would just move the latch over to your existing glove box door.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived