CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

96 eldorado

JONSCAT

hey Guys,

have a 96 eldorado that started to flash the low oil pressure light on when i was sitting a stop light after moveing againn it would go out-on a road trip recently the dic displayed low oil pressure stop engine whick i did and checked oil level ,added a quart and the code disappered but car seemed to want to run hot,i drove back home sans the ac to keep her from running hot.got in her the next day to run an errand and the transmission started to slip at about 40 mph after i let off the gas it would reengage but still no shift into 3rd gear.had her towed to a local mechanic that called yesterday and said i need to rebuild the trans or buy new one.he also says the altenator is notworking and i did notice a couple of days before all this began that the headlights would flicker at night when i pressed the brake pedal.

this car hadover 3000.00 worth of work last sept includeing trans mission work,service records show that iss was out of range and they replaced it for about 1700.00 total cost. they are still diagnosing the car today as i told them that i wanted all codes pulled and given to me..could this be the shift solenoids od a possible elctrical issue as the back up lights dont work and couple other minor problems but nothing that makes her unsafe to drive.I have all the service records on this car it has 114k on it but looks and drove like new until all this happened! Any ideas ????? Thanks,Jon

I feel your pain on the 96 eldo. I just hit 125K and had similar problems. The oil pressure light I have yet to figure out. I had the pressure tested and it was fine. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

However, I think I can help you with the trans prob. Although still not cheap, much better than a rebuilt trans. Lets face it, any time you ask anyone at a trans shop about anything trans related, you are going to get the response that you need a new trans. However, in my case, my car started doing the same thing as yours and after a couple of similar responses from 2 nationally known transmission shops, I reluctantly took it to the dealer to discover that the only problem were 2 transmission solenoids that had gone bad. Although it did cost an arm and a leg (I dont remember how much, ,but over 500) it was better than listening to those idiotsat AAMCO or the like. The solenoids were relatively cheap, but the pan had to be dropped and this is allegedly where the cost came from.

Within 2 months, I also had to have a nw starter and alternator, which hopefully will keep me rolling for some time. Hope that helps

I feel your pain on the 96 eldo. I just hit 125K and had similar problems. The oil pressure light I have yet to figure out. I had the pressure tested and it was fine. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

However, I think I can help you with the trans prob. Although still not cheap, much better than a rebuilt trans. Lets face it, any time you ask anyone at a trans shop about anything trans related, you are going to get the response that you need a new trans. However, in my case, my car started doing the same thing as yours and after a couple of similar responses from 2 nationally known transmission shops, I reluctantly took it to the dealer to discover that the only problem were 2 transmission solenoids that had gone bad. Although it did cost an arm and a leg (I dont remember how much, ,but over 500) it was better than listening to those idiotsat AAMCO or the like. The solenoids were relatively cheap, but the pan had to be dropped and this is allegedly where the cost came from.

Within 2 months, I also had to have a nw starter and alternator, which hopefully will keep me rolling for some time. Hope that helps

If a shop temporarily installed an oil pressure gage and it met the spec. in the factory service manual, I would then look ar replacing the oil pressure sender unit...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived