CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'97 Seville STS Overheating

Kerry97

I just purchased a '97 Seville STS and on the way home it overheated. Typical thermostat guage reaction...temp climbs to 3/4 then goes to normal, several times until it stayed closed for good and overheated. Replaced thermostat, radiator & cap, and resevoir tank, and inspected the waterpump (looks brand new). The coolant didn't have any debris in it. It'll now run at normal temp for 15 min., then the temp climbs and it overheats again.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, before I have to take it to the DEALER and sign away my next child. You can also contact me at kburrows@ptd.net.

Make sure the water pump belt tensioner is not rusted and hanging up allowing the belt to slip. Since you already checked the pump I assume that the tensioner is ok. Also remove the 3/8" hose at the surge tank that comes from the pump. It should have a steady stream from it. It is a vent hose to vent the pump and prevent it from getting an air lock and cavitating causing a lack of flow and thus overheating.

Archived