CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

need more horsepower!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This side of No2 (not hard), and a supercharger (next to impossible) that's about it. These motors are already putting out >1hp per c.i., so thar factory's done a real good job of tweaking all the mechanicals, and programming. If your motor is the 275 HP N*, you could put the intake cams from a 300hp N* in it (the only difference, mechanically), but then you run into programming and gear ratio differences...( now outside the optimum torque parameters)..

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

NEED? Or want? I believe you have the 4.5L engine which is pretty low horsepower but quite decent amount of torque. Plus your car weighs less than the newer or the older ones. In order to get more horsepower out of the 4.5 you will pretty much NEED to port the intake/heads/exhaust. You could rebuild the engine and if there's room possibly increase displacement but I'm not sure how much room is left on the 4.5. What i'd do is get a better distributor, ignition, then make a custom intake and port the throttle body and any spacers and also the intake manifold. Then i'd do as much exhaust work as I can if you can find headers (which is very difficult for a traverse engine). Then get a computer chip or replacement to help the exhaust and porting mods........then if you can afford it or if you can do it yourself take the heads off and have them ported and the valves worked etc.. have them milled to give you more compression..... that right there should bring you up over the 200HP range (I think stock was 155). Your torque is about 240 already which is real nice so that might increase close to 300 which is neck snapping for a car that weighs 3300 lbs like yours :) Unfortunately our new devilles/sevilles weigh 4000+

This side of No2 (not hard), and a supercharger (next to impossible) that's about it. These motors are already putting out >1hp per c.i., so thar factory's done a real good job of tweaking all the mechanicals, and programming. If your motor is the 275 HP N*, you could put the intake cams from a 300hp N* in it (the only difference, mechanically), but then you run into programming and gear ratio differences...( now outside the optimum torque parameters)..

Man, I need to wear my glasses more often...Duh, I read it as 1998...Never mind.. :blink:

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Wouldn't couldn’t a 1988 Deville be either Front Wheel Drive or Rear Wheel Drive?

Is your car FWD or RWD? From what I remember, I think that that car could have anything between a 5.0L (305ci) and 5.7L (350) if RWD

If yours is RWD and has a 350 and have lots of $$$, I'd take the motor down to an engine rebuilder in your area and tell them you want a 383 stroker made out of it...if its a competent shop, they should have everything or be able to get you everything to make one. It would make your car be able to peel some serious serious rubber (like 400 horsepower worth).

If you have a FWD, you are pretty limited to the Flowmaster and K&N ;) .

BTW, how does the Flowmaster sound...pretty loud?...thinking of doing that myself but others have said it’s too loud.

Spence

check my 4.9 out... i've got a few things you might be interested in... bigfoo had some good suggestions too!

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/446455

NEED? Or want? I believe you have the 4.5L engine which is pretty low horsepower but quite decent amount of torque. Plus your car weighs less than the newer or the older ones. In order to get more horsepower out of the 4.5 you will pretty much NEED to port the intake/heads/exhaust. You could rebuild the engine and if there's room possibly increase displacement but I'm not sure how much room is left on the 4.5. What i'd do is get a better distributor, ignition, then make a custom intake and port the throttle body and any spacers and also the intake manifold. Then i'd do as much exhaust work as I can if you can find headers (which is very difficult for a traverse engine). Then get a computer chip or replacement to help the exhaust and porting mods........then if you can afford it or if you can do it yourself take the heads off and have them ported and the valves worked etc.. have them milled to give you more compression..... that right there should bring you up over the 200HP range (I think stock was 155). Your torque is about 240 already which is real nice so that might increase close to 300 which is neck snapping for a car that weighs 3300 lbs like yours :) Unfortunately our new devilles/sevilles weigh 4000+

There's not a lot to be done to a 4.5 to hop it up other than Nitrous. A different ignition won't make more horsepower....Before I would spend all that money on an '88 Sedan deVille, I'd sell the existing car and buy a newer one with the Northstar engine. Then you'd have plenty of power.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived