CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Shocks advice

2002 Deville base model. I apparently need new rear shocks. What is the best fix for this. Im not sure what I need.

Partstrain.com has a few options. One PAIR Monroe is $89.

Another Monroe option is $549 for 1 shock!!?? (Now i know why theyre called Shocks!)

Im not sure how all this works. It appears the $89 doesnt hook up to my compressor, just a manual job u fill yourself????

Its a 2002 and Im out of work right now... what are my options??? Can somebody help a broke do-it-yourselfer??

$89 job

$549 job

I put new rear shocks on my 95 seville last summer. I bought mine from http://www.arnottindustries.com/ No local auto place had any, and I wasn't going to pay $3000 for them from the dealer. I Bought them for $342 total shipped to house. Install was easy other than the top bolts were seized up, I had to take my dremel tool and cut the nuts off. They hook up to the air lines so you can keep the level thing working. They also have the sensor on them that you just tie to the car frame away from heat so the "service ride control" doesn't keep showing in the info center. The ride is alot better, no bouncing in the rear like it was.

Looks like yours will cost $239 plus the cost of shipping

Try Arnott as noted above they should have something for you

Also try Rockauto.com and gmotors.com

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Im not the original owner and after looking underneath at the shocks they are AC Delco brand. I only see an airline running to these shocks, thats it. I can see the manfg date was in 08 so I know these arent the original shocks. I can also see there are/were additional air lines that are disconnected and just hanging there. AS if when these newer shocks were replaced they ran new air lines which are attached to the existing and the older lines were just left to dangle. The old lines looked like attached with just a 90 degree boot and the ones attached now are screw on lines.

What Im trying to determine is if these shocks on here now are a aftermarket air shocks that have eliminated the original fancy a$$ $500 shocks. How can i determine this? I have no error codes on the dash. I can even disconnect the airlines and i still get no error code. I do hear the compressor kick on every now and then.

I see mentioned about just tying my sensors to the frame. Im not sure what this is. I see no sensors anywhere near the shocks i have installed. In the picture of the $500+ shocks it looks like there are some kind of lines running to the top and bottom of the shock?? These I have now just have one airline.

See pictures....

post-13854-127307483863_thumb.jpg

post-13854-12730748567_thumb.jpg

My car has the sensor's, reading the shock description for your car on Arnott they say "For vehicles NOT equipped with Road Sensing Suspension"

Call the dealer and ask them about the shocks, maybe there is a part number on the ones you have installed now.

Thats one reason its so confusing. I thought all 2002 Devilles have electronic suspension? If so then why do some shocks say, "for cars without?"

I didnt know if Electronic Suspension meant there were some controls on the dash that you could adjust etc... and that I just have the basic air control or something.

Every number I can find on the existing shocks appears to mean nothing! I google them and nothing comes up. That would make it SO easy!

Archived