CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

C1287 98 Seville

The EBTCM learns the steering wheel center position in every drive cycle. Once established, the steering wheel center position should remain fairly constant.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

All of the following conditions occur:

The ignition is ON.

The steer rate (speed that the steering wheel appears to be turning) exceeds the limits set by the EBTCM.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

A malfunction DTC is stored.

Stabilitrak® is disabled.

The DIC displays the SERVICE STABILITY SYS message.

The ABS/TCS remain functional.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

The condition for DTC is no longer present and you used scan tool Clear DTCs function.

The condition for DTC is no longer present and you used the On-Board Clear DTCs function.

The EBTCM does not detect the DTC in 50 drive cycles.

Diagnostic Aids

Check the vehicle for proper alignment. The car should not pull in either direction while driving straight on a flat surface.

Find out from the driver under what conditions the DTC was set (when the DIC displayed the SERVICE STABILITY SYS message). This information will help to duplicate the failure.

Thoroughly inspect the wiring and the connectors. An incomplete inspection of the wiring and the connectors may result in a misdiagnosis, causing a part replacement with the reappearance of the malfunction.

Poor connections, broken insulation, or a break in the wire inside the insulation may cause an intermittent malfunction.

If an intermittent malfunction exists, refer to Intermittents and Poor Connections Diagnosis in Wiring Systems.

The Snapshot function on the scan tool can help find an intermittent DTC.

Vehicles with Multiple DTCs C1282 , C1283 , C1284 , C1285 , C1287 , C1288 - kw ABS accelerate aggressive brake calibration diagnostics DTC EBTCM electrical engage ICCS incorrect performance sensor

Vehicles with Multiple DTC C1282, C1283, C1284, C1285, C1287, C1288

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms in the PI.

Condition/Concern:

Multiple Stabilitrak/Precision Control Codes such as C1282, C1283, C1284, C1285, C1287 and C1288 exist on Delphi Bosch 5.0 or 5.3 systems. The range of codes may not identically match what is listed above, but if there is a trend in which codes simultaneously exist for the SWPS, Yaw Sensor, and Lateral Accelerometer, the information in this PI is applicable.

PROBABLE CAUSE: Loss of 5 volt reference or ground on circuits 1337 or 1338. It is unlikely to be a sensor issue in this circumstance, as the likelihood of having three sensors simultaneously fail is quite low. The common factor in this instance is the fact that the 5 volt reference and ground are shared for all three sensors.

Recommendation/Instructions:

You can verify this by taking a snap shot of the condition, and looking at the SWPS inputs, yaw rate sensor input, and the lateral accelerometer input. If review of these three inputs finds the voltage is dropping low/erratic, inspect circuits 1337 and 1338. Check all connectors, splices and pass-throughs between the EBTCM and sensors. Replacing any of the sensors or checking for a loose yaw sensor will most likely not repair the vehicle. In instances in which individual codes occur, use existing diagnostics. With regards to steering wheel position sensors, the Delphi-Bosch 5.3 system inputs are listed as Dual Analog SWPS Input A and Dual Analog Input B. These two inputs range from 0 to 5 volts. The Delphi-Bosch 5.0 system inputs are listed as Digital SWPS Phase A, Digital SWPS Phase B, and Analog Steering Wheel Position. The analog input might be the best input to track on the 5.0 system as it will be more obvious if the voltage is dropping out.

The yaw sensor also have a voltage range of 0 to approximately 5 volts and is at 2.5 volts at 0 degrees yaw. The lateral accelerometer has a voltage range of 0 to approximately 5 volts and is also at 2.5 volts when no g force is detected.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance.

Models:

(1997-2004 Cadillac Seville ) and (1997-02 Cadillac Eldorado) and (1997-05 Buick Park Avenue 2000-05 Buick LeSabre 2000-05 Pontiac Bonneville 1997-05 Cadillac Deville 2001Oldsmobile Aurora)

I dont understand anything that I had read on that post could you break it down for me I'm kind slow when it comes to these things. Like were could I start. Could it be a sensor. Tonight it did it again once I was going around a corner and it maked a grrrr sound then the steering felt funny.

There is a lot of advanced tech speak there as that is dealer bulletin info....basically stick to the "probable cause" section. This is a shotgun approach but if you have only one code this may not apply at all. I do not understand a lot of it myself.

Archived