CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Transmission not going into gear when cold

timothyr

Just had the tranny pan dropped, filter replaced, and the system refilled....ran fine for two days, now only when sitting for more than 6 hours, the car will not go into gear until it has warmmed up, once it does go into gear everything seams normal. car is a 93 4.9l seville, as another clue, it never seems to slip when cold, its just like you are sitting in neutral...rev the engine as high as you want.

yesterday I also returned from being away and the car had been sitting for a week, after starting and trying to get it to go into gear it did nothing, i let it sit in reverse for about 45 sec, with the engine at about 1300 RPM, with no vehicle movement, when I reved to about 2500 (just to see what would happen), the 4.9 expressed its torque curve quite nicely as I backed down my driveway at an instant 50MPH...it did not slip or anything, just a mild clunk, and we were off like a shot, then it was running totally normal.

The shop that changed the fluid suspect something computer related, and there were NO ill signs before the fluid swap, I was just at 80K mi, and wanted all of the fluids changed.

No codes were stored

any thoughts on where to begin

TIA

t

Just had the tranny pan dropped, filter replaced, and the system refilled....ran fine for two days, now only when sitting for more than 6 hours, the car will not go into gear until it has warmmed up, once it does go into gear everything seams normal. car is a 93 4.9l seville, as another clue, it never seems to slip when cold, its just like you are sitting in neutral...rev the engine as high as you want.

yesterday I also returned from being away and the car had been sitting for a week, after starting and trying to get it to go into gear it did nothing, i let it sit in reverse for about 45 sec, with the engine at about 1300 RPM, with no vehicle movement, when I reved to about 2500 (just to see what would happen), the 4.9 expressed its torque curve quite nicely as I backed down my driveway at an instant 50MPH...it did not slip or anything, just a mild clunk, and we were off like a shot, then it was running totally normal.

The shop that changed the fluid suspect something computer related, and there were NO ill signs before the fluid swap, I was just at 80K mi, and wanted all of the fluids changed.

No codes were stored

any thoughts on where to begin

TIA

t

Verify that the manual linkage is not out of adjustment. Sometimes it can read DRIVE and not be actually in drive, just a thought. It is also possible that the tranny shop did not put the filter in correctly. There is a rubber seal way up that must be pulled out and replaced, its a press fit and tricky, also if the filter dropped out of the seal, it may cause the problem you are describing and only work when it is sucked up into place. Mike

I would drop the pan, put a new gasket, or new filter with gasket and refill. I would do everything myself or let someone whom I trust do it . Hopefully the shop screwed up only the gasket and no more serious damage has been made.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

hmmm...that's interesting now that you bring it up...i noticed recently (hey, i"m slow) on my 4.5 90 seville that until the coolant temp gets close to operating temp the transmission will not shift into overdrive (4th). i just assumed (i know, i know)

it was designed to work that way. jackg 90 seville 95k

If you look at this scan carefully, there is a seal on the filter outlet that 1) must be installed properly and 2) the filter must be snapped into it fully. If you are sucking air at that location especially since the job was done, I would look at this first. The seal (see illustration #2) is installed SEPARATELY, not WITH the filter. The seal was tricky to get out, tricky to get in, and the filter was tricky to snap into place, Good Luck, let us know how this turns out. Mike

post-3-1091813321.jpg

Thanks to all on the suggestions....I have a feeling it is going to be the gasket/filter issue as it seems more or less like a vaccum type situation. I will lift the car tonight (while I am putting on the new custom crossdrilled/slotted rotors) and pull it all apart.

Stupid me, after working on cars for so long i assumed anyone could change fluid without causeing a problem

t

Archived