CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Touching up paint chips/scratches

bigfoo

I've been trying to fix a few chips and a few scratches and it seems no matter what I do it doesn't come out right.. I've re-done a few like 3 times and it STILL is too noticable for me. What's the trick to this? I've never really cared before and just dabbed paint on but now I want it to look perfect so how in the world do you do it ? :) What's the key?? Anyone?

Thanks!

The paint I bought (White Diamond) says to prime the spot first and then apply in multiple thin layers. Did you do that? If so, what kind of primer did you use? I'm about to try a little touch-up painting myself and I also would like to do it right.

The problem I have is not getting the paint on the car, it's making it unnoticable by sanding or using a rubbing compound after I painted it :/ I'm thinking I might have to do many many MANY thin layers of paint because every time i use a rubbing compound the paint just comes off even if it's been drying for days. The primer I used is Duplicolor gray primer filler.. you use that and then sand it lightly then paint over with the regular color.. It's driving me nuts.. I think I'm just too impatient and I need to do 10 thin coats of paint with a long drying time in between each one :/ But I'm not sure..

If you're doing White Diamond, I agree it is so thin and watery I don't think a hundred coats would do it; but I haven't had much to re-touch yet.

When I had my black 93, I cut a whole ina sheet of paper just a little bit bigger than the spot I wanted to paint Then I taped that to the car over the spot. Then I took a sheet of newspaper and cut out a bigger whole and taped that over the other paper, just to prevent overspray. Then I put on several very light coats just passing the spray over the hole. I got more spray on the paper of course than on the spot. When I took it off, I let it dry for a day and then rubbed it out and I got some very excellent results. A friend who said it couldn't be done couldn't find the spot after I finished. Don't know if I could do the same with other colors sor not.

There was a recent, previous post regarding this topic and specifically, White Diamond paint.

I believe White Diamond comes in tri-color which means that you will have to buy three separate bottles of paint for the color to match correctly.

Go here: http://www.paintscratch.com/ to get the correct paint.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

What's the correct procedure for 'rubbing it out' ? I can get the paint on ok but it's never smooth. THen when I rub it out with a compound it ruins it although it makes it flat again :/

White diamond is a tri coat. The stuff from the dealer is defiantely very thin. I suspect a base coat of white then the white diamond might help. Bottom line is that stuff in the bottles is made simply to color in a chip and seal it. It will never look good. The only way I ever had any success is sanding with a DA to feather it properly, spraying, then rubbing it out with polishing compound. That was on a white car. White diamond is a hole different story. Very hard to blend for anyone other than a pro.

Archived