CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Trans Rear mount in 99 STS

hiljak

I have changed the front center engine mount and the the two side mounts (engine right and trans left). I looked on ALLDATA and the directions to change it say to remove the engine frame. WTF is the engine frame. Are they talking about the cradle?

Can anyone tell me the easy way to do this? Shaiden Kai, Logan?? HELP!!! :o

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

Engine frame is the black 'frame' thing under the engine.. it hooks to the body has big bolts.. I can copy the info out of my FSM if you want. I would hope you wouldn't have to REMOVE the engine frame. Probably a way to manipulate it..... why do you have to change the mount? I've been wondering about a small clunk i can feel when i'm coasting and then I hit the gas again .. all the mounts look good though :>

I've been wondering about a small clunk i can feel when i'm coasting and then I hit the gas again .. all the mounts look good though :>

That sounds more like one of the dogbones.

I have changed the front center engine mount and the the two side mounts (engine right and trans left).  I looked on ALLDATA and the directions to change it say to remove the engine frame.  WTF is the engine frame.  Are they talking about the cradle?

Can anyone tell me the easy way to do this?  Shaiden Kai, Logan??  HELP!!! :o

Unless you are positive you need it, why bother? I've only really

seen trouble with the front engine mount (front of the car). The

rear one will be a real pain to change, you would need to drop the

subframe down a bit, which would mean disconnecting the steering

rack at the intermediate shaft. The engine and trans will stay up

due to the engine mounts at the right and left side of the engine/

trans.....these are mounted to the body and will hold the engine/trans

in place.

Well,

I baught all four mounts for the car as I had a pretty bad clunking problem. I changed out the front and it was completely broken on the top. That killed about 85% of the clunking noise (now no cluck when shifing in and out of park, drive, reverse), but I still have a bit of a cluck while driving above 40 mph when you let off the gas then hit it again.

I plan to change the left and right tonight as they both look really easy to get to. I may just pass on changing the rear if it's that bad and plus, after looking at the new one, it seems a hell of a lot more stout than the other three. Its basically rubber coated steel. Hopefuly changing the left and right will kill the remaining clunking. Thanks.

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

The front mount is the only one I've done so far and it took about 3 to 3.5 hours. In retro spect, if I would have removed the two side mounts first, I think I would have been able to jack the motor up enough to get the mount bracket all the way out. The way I did it I had to get the top nut holding the mount to the bracket with an 18 mm wrench which was a very tight and long process.

I ended up drinkning about four or five beers in the process. ;) I'm pretty sure I can change the side mounts within an hour for both.

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

Archived