CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Power Steering filter: The Mystery part

STS Scott

After searching far and wide for this darn Power Steering filter, but to no avail, I figured it would be best to come back here to the board, just to remind myself that it does in fact exist!

The thing is, the dealer here in Canada wants 50+ bucks for it (and I even had to prove to them that the car did in fact have one), and auto stores like Napa Canada, Canadian Tire/Part Source have never heard of it either.

So, next stop, Detroit right? Well, armed with the part number that a lady gave me from Napa's parts hotline (the American one), I drove over to the Napa store just down the street from FoMoCo's head office...again, the best they could do was a little, cigarette-sized generic filter that apparently fit inside the P/S fluid tubing. Quite a bit different from the 3 inch long steel canister that is in there right now. I took the guy out to the car to look at it, but he still could not help me.

Pardon my frustration, but what the hell is going on! (lol!)

Do I have to bite the bullet and go to the dealer?

Some of you guys got your P/S filters from Napa, right?

Maybe I'll fill up a coke can with those rocks from a Brita water filter, then duct tape it in there! That should do it!

please lend a hand!

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

Just order it from here http://www.gmotors.com/

That way it'll be the genuine article and you can rest easy. They ship worldwide I notice. Good luck.

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

BUY an old style fuel filter, same size as your power steering filter, but get one with the old slip over rubbler lines design. two clamps and your home free. I PUT one on my 96 and it works fine. ITS only a small filter.

I thought about using a fuel filter as well. They certainly look the same from the outside. Only thing that concerned me was the difference in viscosity between fuel and power steering fluid. I'm no expert here but it seems to me that fuel would flow effortlessly through most any filtration while the same, in my opinion, cannot be said about power steering fluid. My guess is that the filtering medium inside the power steering filter canister is more "porous" than the fuel filters. Maybe the experts will chime in. I'd be interested in knowing.

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Power Steering Filter ???

Exactly where is this Power Steering filter located in the car????

Vince P

1994 SLS

150,000 miles

Well Vince, on my 94 sts the power steering filter is located on the right side (passenger side) just behind the fog lamp. It looks similar to the fuel filter canister.

"Burns" rubber

All the cars I've had and I never remember changing a power steering filter.. Is this something specific to certain vehicles? I don't even think my 99 STS has one

Are you talking about the little screen that's in the resivour ? I'm in the middle of trying to flush my power steering.. I just ran 2 quarts through it and it's still nasty .. going to waste a lot of fluid cleaning this out :/ It's making terrible whining noise.. running 2 qts through it quieted it down but still didn't clean it up

Bigfoo,

No, I am dealing with the steel canister, down under the car, behind the passanger side fog light.

Scott

Oh, and Vince... thanks for the info. I appreciate it!

The next time I am in Detroit (maybe this week), I shall drop by and AutoZone.

Scott

Are you talking about the little screen that's in the resivour ?  I'm in the middle of trying to flush my power steering.. I just ran 2 quarts through it and it's still nasty .. going to waste a lot of fluid cleaning this out :/  It's making terrible whining noise.. running 2 qts through it quieted it down but still didn't clean it up

Bigfoo, does the pitch of the whinning change when you turn the steering wheel? I swore my whinning was coming from my steering pump and it ended up being the AC hub bearing. Consider buying a 6K739 belt to eliminate the AC compressor to ensure that its not the compressor if you have not done so already... Mike

I held a pipe up to the p/s and it's making quite a noise.. I know they always make some noise (especially fords.......)... I'll have to have someone rev the engine while i hold the pipe

Archived