CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Deville will not start

Cad1995

Cad will not start, Key/lock seems to be broke. Key turns really easy. Key does not spring back when trying to start. No power to dash. Nothing happens. Lights work Poer locks work. I can leave key in start position, Take my hand of of it and it just stays there. any ideas

I think the lock is fine. There is an actuator which engages the ignition switch. It is broken. It is deep inside of the steering column. You can replace it, but it' s a lot of work. I had same problem and made a quick fix which works fine for two years. But you may want to fix it properly by replacing the actuator.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

He re is the picture from my servise manual (1991 seville) I am sure it is pretty mach the same in your year cars. The part is most likely broken is #44. YOu can try to get access to the ignition switch and shift it manually. If the car starts the actuator is the problem.

post-3-1091454711.jpg

As you can see, the ignition switch is #81. It is on the bottom of the steering column. It has three positions: off, on and start. You can move it directly by means of #83. I have made an "actuator " from a steel 3mm diameter rod (SEARS Hardware) which engages the ignition switch directly (replaces #83 and # 44) and comes all way up to the steering wheel. I just push it to start the car and pull back to shut it down. A little bit funny but.... it will never broke. :D

Thanks, i get it back from dealer tomarrow. Replaced both actuator and the ignition switch. Call me stupid but had dealer do it. $325 parts and Labor. I plan to keep the deville till she dies and then will probably just keep it in the back yard for sentimental value. a. because i love her and b. because trade in sucks for such a fine car.

Thanks, i get it back from dealer tomarrow. Replaced both actuator and the ignition switch. Call me stupid but had dealer do it. $325 parts and Labor. I plan to keep the deville till she dies and then will probably just keep it in the back yard for sentimental value. a. because i love her and b. because trade in sucks for such a fine car.

Too bad. We could save you money. The actuator is $15 part. I am sure the ignition switch was fine. Dealer spent some 30-40 minutes since they do that all the time. Hopefully the stealership did not screw anything up.

Whatever, now you know where you can get some help and save yorself money and frustration, and the car ;)

Archived