CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Overheating with acceleration

anchor55

Can anyone please explain to me why a N* can idle in driveway forever and maintain temps. just fine with fans coming on around 220-225 and drops to 208-215 but as soon as I hit the road the temp skyrockets to "engine hot" warning...the only coolant comes from the overheat drain tube...Thermostat seems to be working..top rad-hose gets very hot and very tight...Could this be the water pump? How can I be certain?..Also..blower motor doesn't seem to be working either..HELP!

Thanx,

Jay

Are you losing water, I guess not or you would have stated that. So assuming that you are not losing water, I would check the water pump belt and tensioner for proper function, ie make sure the belt is not slipping. The belt could be worn and/or the tensioner could be binding and not applying proper pressure allowing the belt to slip. That's where I would start, Mike

At higher RPM (under acceleration) the water pump does not provide adequate pressure/circulation. That's the reason you get overheated (I mean the Northstar).

Just as Scotty assumed check the belt etc. as well as the pump itself.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived