CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Headlight turning pink

I have a 2007 Cadillac ESV. My left bottom light in my headlight turned pink and then went out a few months ago. I had it replaced for around $430.00. Still working fine. Now my right light is doing the same thing. It is pink but has not burned out yet. Took it in today to our local Cadillac dealer and was told that I would need to replace the ballast assembly(?) which would cost $897.00. I was wondering if the same thing happened to the first headlight why not just replace the headlight instead of the ballast? What is a ballast assembly? He said we could try that but there was no guarentee. Has anyone had this problem? Thanks

• 6 months later...

If the car is still under the Warranty there should be no cost to you at all. If you have gone over on the millage, I would meet with the Dealer General Manager or the owner and explain the situation. There is always something that can be done if you get on the right side of the people who run/own the Dealership. I have made it a point to meet and get to know the Gen. Mgr; Svc. Mgr; and the Owner of the Dealership I buy my vehicles from. It can certainly never hurt.

If you meet with the "Brass" and they still can't/won't do anything for you, you can get a used unit from a scrap yard, on line, etc. for a lot less than a new one. You can also go on line and find new units at discounted prices. The only bad part of doing that is you will have to do the installation yourself (which should not be that hard anyway).

Good Luck.

twocoltbob

• 9 months later...

HID lights often turn pink when the bulb is dying. Unless there are other symptoms, you probably don't need a ballast. If you're able to, try replacing just the bulb yourself. If not, ask them to go ahead and replace the bulb only and see if the problem goes away.

HID lights often turn pink when the bulb is dying. Unless there are other symptoms, you probably don't need a ballast. If you're able to, try replacing just the bulb yourself. If not, ask them to go ahead and replace the bulb only and see if the problem goes away.

Not sure if this applies, but if you decide to change the bulb yourself, make sure you follow the procedures & warniungs. If it's anything like a halogen bulb, merely touching a new bulb will substantially shorten it's life - Seems the natural oils from our fingerprints will damage the glass when heated.

Archived