CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Orifice Tube Clogged

When I removed the orifice tube from my 95 Aurora it was completly plugged with metal shavings. I searched the archives and got a lot of great info on the ac problems and have installed the shorter belt.

My question is, how do I get the system clean enough that my new compressor won't get trashed? Should I replace other parts also? What is the small aluminum canister called?

Thanks for the help.

Replace the accumulator (large aluminum can), disconnect each connections and flush each component (hoses/lines, evaporator, condenser) with a flush gun and A/C flush solvent. I've used mineral spirits or brake cleaner if you don't have a flush gun. Block off the opposite end of the device as to create backpressure to dislodge the crud. Keep flushing until the solvent runs clean. Blow out each component with dry, compressed air.

It's best to remove the condenser and lay it flat when flushing so the solvent doesn't run to the bottom.

Replace all o-rings and reconnect the lines. Also, install a new orifice tube. I apply Nylog to the o-rings but if you do not have it, 525 viscosity mineral oil (the oil used for R-12 systems) can be used.

You will need to add the proper quantity of PAG oil - a portion goes in the compressor and the balance must be added to the new accumulator.

If you do not have a vacuum pump and gages, you'll need to take the car to an A/C shop to have the system evacuated and charged with R-134a.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Kevin, I am buying the NYLOG and PAG oil at www.acsource.com. What kind of PAG oil do I use ACSOURCE sells LOW (ISO 46) and HIGH (ISO 150) Viscosity oil.. I have called them and can't get through, and left messages with no success. I want to place an order with them. Thanks, Mike (96 DEVILLE)

Mike,

I believe that GM systems use 150 viscosity PAG oil but double check the shop manual or check with the dealer.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

When my AC compressor went out, it also sent metal shavings through the system. When I talked over my options with the AC repair shop they said it really isn't possible to clean the condenser by flushing. The reason being that is a "manifold" design, and the cleaning fluid would only follow the path of least resistance. Thus many tubes would not be cleaned and metal would still contaminate the system. If it were "serpentine" like oil coolers it would not be a problem, it would flush right out.

I think the better path would be to replace the condenser (unless it is a “serpentine" style), to protect your AC system and your investment.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

At what cost KHE?

Do you mean the cost of the condenser? They're about $180.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

You raise a very good point George!

Thanks Kevin,

I was glad the AC repair shop explained it to me, otherwise I would have probably blown it out and thought it good.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Archived