CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

No Codes EXCEPT RFA U1064 History

coolnesss

My 2002 ETC has no codes - hooray - except RFA U1064 History. RFA - Remote Function Actuation. I googled that and found a bunch of posts on Corvette boards - but hardly any for Cadillacs.

This code persists. Is there anything to be concerned about? I'm compulsive enough that it worries me, although history codes aren't supposed to be meaningful.

-

History codes indeed ARE meaningful. The only thing the history part of it means is that the problem wasn't present since the last time it was turned off and started again. I know the book on my car (which is OBD1) states that history codes will clear themselves after a certain number of ignition cycles (starting) without the problem being present. I think in my case it's 50 cycles, but would have to double check. Yours is OBD2 though, so the same may not apply in your case.

As for your code, in the case of a Cadillac, U1064 is the result of loss of communication with the dash integration module (DIM).

Circuit Description

The class 2 serial data line communicates information between modules. Each module connected to the serial data line is assigned a recognition code, or address. This code is used in order to identify which modules are communicating. Modules communicate with each other by periodically sending state of health (SOH) messages. When the ignition switch is in RUN, each module communicating on the serial data line sends a SOH message every 2 seconds. This ensures that the system is operating properly. When the dash integration module (DIM) stops communicating on the class 2 serial data line, the SOH that is normally sent on the serial data line every 2 seconds disappears. The module, which expects to receive that message, detects the absence of the message. The module in turn sets DTC U1064 associated with the loss of SOH of the DIM.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The module does not receive a state of health (SOH) message back from the DIM. The module retries the request 3 times, and then sets DTC U1064.

This DTC only sets if U1300 or U1301 is not current.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

DTC U1064 is stored in the module.

The module uses the default values for the initialization data.

This DTC does not cause driver warning message to appear.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

This DTC clears (status changes from current to history) under any of the following conditions:

The module detects a state of health message from the DIM.

At each ignition cycle.

A history DTC clears after 50 consecutive ignition cycles if the conditions for setting the DTC are no longer present.

Current and history DTCs may be cleared using a scan tool, or using the on board diagnostic system.

Diagnostic Aids

DTC U1064 does not normally represent a failure within the module.

When loss of class 2 serial data communication DTCs (DTCs with the letter U as the prefix) are stored as history DTCs, know all possible serial data DTCs set in each module before diagnosing the serial data line.

If U1064 is stored in the module memory, inspect for the same DTC stored in other modules capable of storing this DTC.

If the DTC is a history DTC, the problem may be intermittent.

My suggestion would be to clear the code and see if it comes back.

big4870885.jpg

Archived