CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

OBD II Code Reader Advice

msfixit

I am thinking about buying one of the many code readers out there or possibly one of the programs that runs on a laptop. . . does anyone have any advice on which ones to look at?? Anyone have any experience with any of these?

Hmmm.....the Aurora may have some built in diagnostics like Corvette and Cadillac...dont know....we never use the built in diagnostics..

Most laptop and aftermarket mini scan tools are limited to powertrain data only. And data only means just that....you cannot turn things on/off for testing.

On the newer cars 60% of the codes are other systems....ABS....airbag....door modules etc.

I think what you really need to find is either a repair shop that works on GM specfic. Or someone who moonlights using a GM Tech 2.

There are also 'enhanced' code the factory tool will see....aftermarket tools will not.

Heres a pic of a GM Tech2. This one happens to be ours....

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/376867...545085_tech.jpg

I am thinking about buying one of the many code readers out there or possibly one of the programs that runs on a laptop. . . does anyone have any advice on which ones to look at??  Anyone have any experience with any of these?

If being able to read and clear powertrain codes will suffice for you, take a look at this page http://obddiagnostics.com/index.html

You can download the WIN software and run it in "simulate" mode to get a sense of how it operates and what it displays. I have been a happy user for several years on the 'other' vehicles in the family fleet.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I've been looking for an inexpensive one that would read all the sensors.. like o2, map, maf, fuel ratio, pressures, etc.. so I can see if there is anything wrong with the car by keeping reports while driving. Everything is so expensive :/ I bet most of us on here bought their cars used and got a great deal on it.. I know I did. I got mine for less than bluebook value and it was dealer certified and I got them to do a boatload of work on it right before it came out of warranty :)

I dont think you get it yet.....

Powertrain IS covered by cheap laptop software and low value scanners.

Today....real world....every system has codes. Radios, ABS, airbag, clusters, door modules....maybe 500 potential codes.

You really need access to a Tech 2.

post-3-1090910199.jpg

Archived