CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

suspension or air compressor

my 97 deville is sitting very low. the air compressor used to come on and raise and lower the back end. it also used bottom out when i had people sitting in the back. then one day it just stopped working. is there a relay or fuse i can check for before assuming the compressor when out?

my 97 deville is sitting very low. the air compressor used to come on and raise and lower the back end. it also used bottom out when i had people sitting in the back. then one day it just stopped working. is there a relay or fuse i can check for before assuming the compressor when out?

Im pretty confident there is a fuse. There is a level control one on my 96 fleetwood. Check your manual to find where it is at.

Unfortunately you know its probably not the fuse thats bad. Shocks leak and the compressor has to work overtime and its just too hard on it.

I know they make regular replacement shocks that work in place of the electronically controlled ones. Thats one route. Otherwise you have to probalby replace the whole system, compressor and shocks, which would be pretty expensive. I know on my fleetwood (has completely different suspension) the air shocks come with a valve to manually air them up then you only need to mess with it as much as you check the pressure in your tires. That way if your compressor is out you have another option.

Id look into those regular shock replacements if I were you.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

I'm unsure if you can do this on a 97, but on my 94 Eldorado the compressor apparently went south before I bought the car, so the previous owner installed new air lines with a new air fitting on them which didn't require the compressor to work at all. They hook to the shocks in place of the air lines from the compressor. They are aired up manually, as stated in the post before this. Granted you no longer have the auto level control but unless you are carrying heavy loads in the back it doesn't really make a difference. If you are going to carry significantly more weight than normal, then air up the shocks a little more, and let the excess air out when you are done. The only downfall I have found so far is that I have to deal with the "SERVICE RIDE CONTROL" message on the DIC. There are ways around that via resistors, I just haven't gotten around to doing it.

My rear shocks however have recently died and need to be replaced. OEM air shocks run over 900$ EACH, so I think I am going to be installing a coil-over conversion kit for 250$ instead. If your shocks need replacing, then that may be the best way to go in terms of cost. The conversion kits come with resistors to keep that annoying "service ride control" message from showing up.

Judging by the fact that you said "it also used bottom out when i had people sitting in the back" I would say you probably have a leak somewhere. If the compressor was working right it shouldn't bottom out unless there is an air leak somewhere.

big4870885.jpg

Im pretty confident there is a fuse. There is a level control one on my 96 fleetwood. Check your manual to find where it is at.

Unfortunately you know its probably not the fuse thats bad. Shocks leak and the compressor has to work overtime and its just too hard on it.

I know they make regular replacement shocks that work in place of the electronically controlled ones. Thats one route. Otherwise you have to probalby replace the whole system, compressor and shocks, which would be pretty expensive. I know on my fleetwood (has completely different suspension) the air shocks come with a valve to manually air them up then you only need to mess with it as much as you check the pressure in your tires. That way if your compressor is out you have another option.

The manuals I have dont touch much on that subject so I dont know where it is. I have checked all the obvious places and those fuses are fine. The ones on the driver side under the hood and ones on the back seat. Can you point me in a direction?

The manuals I have dont touch much on that subject so I dont know where it is. I have checked all the obvious places and those fuses are fine. The ones on the driver side under the hood and ones on the back seat. Can you point me in a direction?

sounds like you have found the fuse boxes. You probably have a bad leak and/or the compressor is shot.

Id look into that manual level kit. It costs about $6 and is made by monroe or others. It includes 1/8" air line and a T-fitting with a schrader valve on it that you can mount anywhere you want. It sounds bad to have to manually air it up but its really like airing up tires, set it and forget it until it looks low. And it holds air like a tire would. The range they work off of is 20psi-100psi and Ive measured mine with the original compressor hooked up it likes to sit around 50-60psi. At 100psi it sits an inch higher than at 20psi and rides a little stiffer. My design shocks they say to never drive it with less than 20psi in them because it can ruin them. Yours may be different but hopefully they arent ruined from not running air in them.

sounds like you have found the fuse boxes. You probably have a bad leak and/or the compressor is shot.

Id look into that manual level kit. It costs about $6 and is made by monroe or others. It includes 1/8" air line and a T-fitting with a schrader valve on it that you can mount anywhere you want. It sounds bad to have to manually air it up but its really like airing up tires, set it and forget it until it looks low. And it holds air like a tire would. The range they work off of is 20psi-100psi and Ive measured mine with the original compressor hooked up it likes to sit around 50-60psi. At 100psi it sits an inch higher than at 20psi and rides a little stiffer. My design shocks they say to never drive it with less than 20psi in them because it can ruin them. Yours may be different but hopefully they arent ruined from not running air in them.

I will definitely look into that. What do you think about I think their called "lifters"? My friend put them on his buick because it was doing the same thing and now it sits normal.

I will definitely look into that. What do you think about I think their called "lifters"? My friend put them on his buick because it was doing the same thing and now it sits normal.

Lifters will make the rear end sit higher where it's supposed to, but they won't allow your suspension to have any "give". It will still ride like the rear end is sitting on bricks.

big4870885.jpg

maybe carla knows what lifters are exactly. But I can only guess because ive never heard of them.

I know there are coil spring helpers they make in rubber or steel varieties that you slide in between the coils of the spring to keep it from sagging. This is a temporary fix and not a correct fix. It will still feel like its bottoming out but will sit higher.

See all cars that have air shocks come with very soft springs. So when the shock isnt helping lift the car it sags real low. Unless you put a stronger spring in there (which is another option! ) you have to help those soft springs with air assist shocks.

Strut/shock lifters are basically a replacement for the top strut mount. It's made much thicker than the original mount, and often have threads that you can use to adjust the height of the lifter by turning it out or in. There are also ones that are made with a heavy rubber instead of being all steel, but none of them have any real give to them. They are meant to be added to already working shocks/struts as a means to lift the car/truck, and are typically used with gas struts rather than air shocks.

Also, I'm unsure about a 1997, but I know in my 1994 there are no springs in the rear.

big4870885.jpg

maybe carla knows what lifters are exactly. But I can only guess because ive never heard of them.

I know there are coil spring helpers they make in rubber or steel varieties that you slide in between the coils of the spring to keep it from sagging. This is a temporary fix and not a correct fix. It will still feel like its bottoming out but will sit higher.

See all cars that have air shocks come with very soft springs. So when the shock isnt helping lift the car it sags real low. Unless you put a stronger spring in there (which is another option! ) you have to help those soft springs with air assist shocks.

Do you know a website where I can get those manual lifters? I've looked around and can't seem to find it or maybe I'm just looking for it under the wrong name or a good website where I can get a good priced compressor.

I've never ordered anything from this website, but this is the one I intend to use for the parts for my suspension when I get to fixing it. They have pretty much everything there, and their prices are pretty fair. On the page I'm posting the link to, you will see the manual air line hookup as the 8th one down on the list. It's only 20$, so that's not bad at all. It would save you from having to replace your compressor, and it comes with new air lines. You could try it and see if it works. If the shocks still won't hold air, then you probably have a leak in the shocks themselves...and they have those there too. I figure it's worth looking at anyhow.

http://www.suncorein...suspension.html

big4870885.jpg

I've never ordered anything from this website, but this is the one I intend to use for the parts for my suspension when I get to fixing it. They have pretty much everything there, and their prices are pretty fair. On the page I'm posting the link to, you will see the manual air line hookup as the 8th one down on the list. It's only 20$, so that's not bad at all. It would save you from having to replace your compressor, and it comes with new air lines. You could try it and see if it works. If the shocks still won't hold air, then you probably have a leak in the shocks themselves...and they have those there too. I figure it's worth looking at anyhow.

http://www.suncorein...suspension.html

Thanks alot. I'm going to order it this weekend and hopefully I can install it next week some time.

• 1 month later...

Well I finally changed the lines and aired it up and it slowly sank right back down to where it was sitting before. I guess I waited too long to change the lines. I guess I just have to change the shocks now.

Before you jump into changing your shocks, make absolutely sure that the new lines you put in are tight and aren't leaking anywhere. You can use soapy water on the lines to check for leaks after you air them up.

big4870885.jpg

Archived