CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

BMW Sponsored Win of America's Cup

Bruce Nunnally

bg2_1440_1280.jpg

News report on the Win: http://www.americascup.com/en/actualite/news/usa-win-33rd-america-s-cup-match-19-2827

BMW ORACLE Racing Team’s revolutionary wing sail powered trimaran USA convincingly won Race 2 off Valencia today to win the 33rd America’s Cup match outright.

The American team, founded ten years ago by software mogul Larry Ellison, achieved its ultimate goal when they powered across the finish line of Race 2 with a margin of 5 minutes and 26 seconds to defeat the Swiss Defender’s Alinghi 2-0.

Ellison sailed on board USA today, his first America’s Cup Match race proving a winning one.

BMW ORACLE Racing become the first American team to win the America’s Cup since 1992 when America3 defeated Il Moro de Venezia off San Diego.

San Francisco’s Golden Gate Yacht Club become the 28th American Defender of the America’s Cup.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

This is the first stop on my personal "mea culpa" tour.

I'm the guy who wrote that article about the Cadillac Escalade that was supposedly used to deliver the America's Cup to the Golden Gate Yacht Club after it was discovered that it wouldn't fit into the BMW SUV.

I thought it was a great story. I had what I thought was reliable confirmation, from four sources. I was actually at the site at the time. What could possibly go wrong?

A lot, apparently. It now appears, and has been confirmed to me with photographic and video evidence, that I, and all my sources, were dead wrong. The America's Cup was in fact delivered in the BMW, and not the Cadillac.

As it turned out, the Cup was flown from Frankfurt in a specially built crate. When it arrived at San Francisco airport, the Cup was removed from the crate and placed in the BMW. The point was to have the Cup out for viewing as soon as they arrived at the Yacht Club.

The crate was then put into the Cadillac. And that very distinctive crate, without the Cup inside, was what all my sources saw.

So, I'm an idiot. But at least I'm an honest one. The original article has been deleted,and maybe now the Oracle people will talk to me again. Sorry for the confusion.

Chuck Lantz chuck@2007ac.com

I hate it when that happens. Thanks for stopping in Chuck, and I have edited out the errant portions.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived