CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

What Seville to buy?

dragon174

I've been looking at the 2000 - 2002 Seville STS and SLS. I want a pre-owned car that has low mileage (between 18k - 40k). What is the best model and year to buy?

I need this vehicle to last at least 5 years and probably 150k more miles.

Please help.

Thanks,

Steve

Steven, Steven, Steven,... ;)

Buy an STS if you want to really enjoy your car....

Buy an SLS if you just want a Cadillac...

Any Caddy will last 150,000 more miles with proper care...Get out and drive a few to feel more comfortable with your choice...I recommend the Active Suspension...It ROCKS! STS 300 hp SLS 275 hp...

good luck and be sure to buy a Caddy! :D

I have an STS so maybe I'm biased.

Anyway, the DTS is larger than a STS. So if more trunk space and interior room appeal to you by all means you should consider one of those.

I personally prefer the looks of a Seville over a Deville ... but thats just me. That is something you will have to decide. I also prefer the subdued look and the fog lights of the STS to the SLS, but again, that's just me.

From STS vs. SLS standpoint ( I imagine the same would apply to the DTS vs. DHS/Deville and ETC vs. ESC) is the STS comes better equipped, it handles much better and will run at least 130 MPH (if that appeals to you ... some will go faster). Acceleration between the two models is pretty close. The torque band of the SLS models is at a lower RPM and is very useful for getting around in town. The torque ban of the STS is higher up in the band and is defiantly a plus when you kick it in the ...er ... can at 70-75 MPH. From a performance point of view (acceleration & power) I don't think you will be disappointed. Again, if handling is something you're after, the STS is far superior to the SLS counterpart.

Fuel economy defiantly is a plus for the SLS model

Hope this helps!

Jim

My tip would be buy the car you like the Newer the better but sometimes you may find a nicer older one check the in service date you can have an 01 and a 02 and they can be a month apart in age so it does matter as far as a warranty. And if possible buy a certified one from the cadillac dealer I think the extended warranty is only 1k to get 6yr or 100k bumper to bumper you just can't beat that..So check that in service date,,

Good luck

Jim

I would purchase a certified '02 STS, if your money is that long, and if you need the car to last as long as possible. That would be the best deal of all.

The DTS is a larger vehicle and with the right rims it doesn't have to "Look" like an old mans car.

Just my 2cents

Peace ByStorm B)

It has close to 70K miles though. No problems what so ever. All struts just replaced. Ready to drive.

Replaced with what?

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

It has close to 70K miles though. No problems what so ever. All struts just replaced. Ready to drive.

Replaced with what?

With oem front struts and rear airshocks , ya clown ! I took full advantage of my warranty which just ended.

There is no other struts/shocks but oem available for a 98+ STS

Seville vs Deville... interesting schism between Caddy Camps. Having a ole '94 DCS puts me in the Deville camp I suppose.

It really depends on how you plan to use the car.

Are room and comfort are more important than the last 0.5 second in the quarter mile? Do you drive the Autobann or in Saudia Arabia where the 155 top end is handy?

I think that everyday performance issues are highly influenced by the Driver, not the car. Most driving manuvers are not exactly planned or timed events where the car itself can make a significant differance (like the dragstrip). Any late model Caddy has more than enough power to surprise another driver - and do what its told. Very few STS's are driven "off the skid-pad" or beyond any other limit. When push comes to shove, I'm certain the Big Red Dog (DCS) would still chase down and pull away from a number of cars. But competitive driving (which should not be condoned on the street - disclaimer) depends greately on the motivation of the driver and the attendent risks vs rewards.

Sevilles might be great for picking up gals, but they do tend to attract cops and thieves - unlike the "Old Man" Devilles. The 2000+ models are much closer in overall style.

Appearance and gadget issues are very subjective. Like clothes, we buy cars because we "look good" in them and we deserve it. Most rational assessments of new vs used would prove that we could keep fixing cars forever - compared to new payments (but we just get tired of them). The classic "Want vs Need".

If you're going to keep the car for 5-years or so, then you may want to consider the cost of ownership, including insurance, projected repairs etc.

Insurance may be somewhat higher on a STS. How much who knows?

A given Seville (in particular STS) may have been "driven harder" than a given Deville. Does this matter with repairs (your call here). Would you buy a Seville from a typical guy you knew in high school?

Can a given Deville be picked up for less than a Seville? It seems like the majority of responses favor a Seville, so the demand for Devilles may be softer and therefore - less expensive.

My 0.02 and then some :P

In either case, enjoy your Caddy !

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

well, here's the skinny on the fat.....

i found an '02 Seville SLS, white pearl coat paint, beige leather, fully loaded. It has the retractable sunroof as well as all the bells the STS has. I haven't checked on insurance, but the two items that I was concerned about were how are the car was driven and insurance costs. This car only has 24,000 miles and I plan on getting the certified warranty (6 years or 100,000 miles).

Right now I'm just waiting on the bank to give me the money! :blink:

Archived