CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

STS-V, 400 hp, supercharged !

TDK

Oh Yeaaa, :P

The announcer said it did not have the CTS's Corvette engine "but stayed true to the line and had a supercharged NorthStar generating 400 hp. However, he also said that the current NorthStar had 320 hp (I thought 300 was tops).

The car itself was bedecked in white tape to secure trim, lower drag and probably obscure body lines. Also had white V-shaped checkerboards across the hood, etc (probably not a public option).

Guru if you're reading - when can you come across with the inside info ?

Specifically, parts numbers for those NorthStar owners with enough cash to buy the crate engine and electronics.

Note, perhaps one fundemental reason the Supercharger project lost wind (pun intended), was that they understood the GM was going to build one anyway.

Granted, the chip code itself would have been one tough nut to crack ...successfully. Its tough enough to "aftermarket" a blower or supercharger on a given engine. But to put one on "the computer that has an engine as an option" (a Caddy) - is downright nuts. Consider how to warrenty that kind of installation - when you know the users are going to crank it, HARD.

Now if I can just talk the Boss into getting another Caddy for his company car (an STS-V this time). I'll need to stalk it for a couple years and get it when he's wooing the next pretty car or truck... ;)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

:o you're braver than I, arguing with Mr. Cadillac.... please take his worth as the final say, and the truth! ;)

bb0b.. any idea how much the computer would compensate for if I put in a more radical cam into my engine... err.. camS 4 of them hehe

At first, I mis-read "VVT" for a wide-font WT. I was thinking...what the h*ll is WT ? :D

I'm amazed with all the "busy work" already going on with a DOHC engine, there was enough room inside or at either/both of the outside ends - to enginer the VVT.

In any case - I know it works and that's great but... "how do it work"?

Does an external positioner electro-mechanically advance/retard the cam "index" to respectively accomodate both high rpm/performance / lower rpm docility?

Once the compu-mechanical systems are synched in well enough - can a variation of VVT be used to change cam duration and lift as well - with another box of widgets thrown inside?

Thanks for the insight so far and any other scraps of knowledge lying around :)

PS, Is there an AWD STS-V in the works? <_<

If so - that's the machine I need to kick my youngest son's WRX-**smurf*. I was almost tempted to run the Big Red Dog around our airport race track - just to grind up those orange cones during their last SCCA auto-cross here. ;)

Might have to sell the Kids' house to get the STS-V AWD. Now that - would be irony... :lol:

How does the VVT on the N* Work i know i had read about toyota and honda use one cam at one RPM and add another at a higher RPM and i think one of thoses exotic sports have a 3d profile on each cam and moves it slightly back and forth to achieve a difrent profile through out the RPM range.

km

Ahh.. what about these engines spinning up around 7000 rpm or so? Say I change the shift points and rev limiters in the computer and get bigger cams and a higher stall converter and adjust the timing, etc.. (I am working on the computer programming right now using software from hptuners ).. How good is the bottom end of this engine If I really start to beat on it?

Guru, An outstanding explanation of the current state of VVT by any analysis.

I think I actually followed the ups and downs of your treatise on cams (pun intended). :P

So there really is more to engines - than outlined in Steinbeck's the "Grapes of Wrath"?

Regarding variable lift/duration and that the current consumer systems are limited to a two-step approach: If the lobe faces are wide enough for two distinct profiles (say: emmissions vs performance), and the equipment exists to precisely increment and feedback position - then why not move a cam longitude-wise though its bearings a bit, such that the differant lobe profile is followed? Combined with dynamic timng changes and DOD, it seems that the engine(s) should be able to literaly re-configure itself as required by its demands.

Is the problem that the cam followers are too wide or the lobes too narrow - to take advantage of a multi-lobe cam profile based on side-shifting? It can not be as simple as stronger valve springs etc for radical profiles, are not applicable for long term use in mild cams.

Could the current limitation, be a lack of consumer demand or overall expertise to respectively purchase or support a highley sophisticated engine that might need more capital cost and maintenance for the desired levelof broadband performance?

It seems that the PCM has surpassed the mechanical event aspects of the engine itself. In particular with the various feed back sensors adjusting the final elemetns in synch and real time - and all the while evaluating the near instantaneous result while calculating the next move.

Thanks in any case, this kind of stuff stirs the gray matter. :D

Seems to me this should have been a differant thread...sorry

Archived