CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Replace alternator with...?

kcd1184

Took the Eldo to have the battery checked out. It is good. Regulator is good.

Alternator isn't up to specs. I would like to stay with GM parts, at least with this electrical piece.

At gmpartsdirect.com they list the replacement as a remanufactured alternator.

Wasn't there a discussion about whether these were valid GM rebuilds. How about some opinions on what to use for a replacement alternator.

Autozone has a Duralast for $125. gmpartsdirect's price is $180. I haven't checked at the caddy dealership yet.

Kent

We have had this discussion a few times before definately stay with AC DELCO for the new alternator many have had problems with aftermarket units, check out Brasington! Get a quote from them, www.gmotors.com Mike

Kent,

Definatley stay with AC Delco. I recall someone on this board replaced one with an aftermarket and it kept giving him a "Battery No Charge" warning. Apparently per Logan there is some circuitry in the Delco's that is not in the aftermarkets so the PCM does not "see" the alternator. On another site somewhere I once read that you should only buy "dumb parts" from Autozone ie: oil, coolant, filters etc. Their parts are cheap for a reason. Have you taken it apart and looked into rebuilding it or having it done. There is a place not far from me (Northwest Auto Electric) in Mchenry that rebuilds starters & alternators. They just saved me a new starter on my wifes Bonneville.

They were $140 or so for Delco remans at Autozone, that is what I used. Not sure if it was a fluke or not, but it only lasted a year and a day. It has a lifetime warranty which helps, but the remove/replace is the hassle.

Archived