CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Boston Suspension

My wife's 1998 STS is in need of both front struts and rear air shocks. She drives very little and money is an issue so I do not want to go with original equipment as it is only available from GM dealers here in Canada which is quite expensive --------- $1900.00 for rear shocks only, not including installation. Unfortunately GM Parts Direct do not exist here and will not ship here apparently because of an agreement they have with GM to stay out of Canada.

I thought about going with Arnott Industries but they have just released front struts for the 1998 STS and are unsure when the rear air shocks will be available.

I learned today that Boston Industries have rear air shocks available for the 1998 STS and that these same air shocks have been made for Boston by Monroe. I was also told that these shocks have not been modified by Boston and that their involvement is really limited to providing the wiring and gizmo to fool the DIC. I have heard that unlike some other air shocks Boston has supplied in the past that their shocks for the 1998 STS look just like the original equipment and as a result do not pose any additional difficulty from an installation standpoint.

Despite this positive information I would still like to hear from anyone who has used products from Boston and the opinion they have of same as a result.

Many thanks for your response because I really have to do something right away as the existing rear shocks have had the biscuit!

I can order whatever you need from GMpartsdirect.com and ship it to you if there is no "custom issues". But I would not spend that much for struts.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

The rear shocks are leaking badly (one is out of fluid). The front struts are not completely worn out but they will require replacements soon so I thought I would get it all done at once. The car only has 155,000 km on it but I understand a large portion of this was over fairly rough roads.

I'm also here in Canada, and recently had to replace the front struts on my '96 STS. I went with the Arnott struts, and am not completely satisfied with them. The ride quality isn't near as good as the OEM's. Basically, they're just a normal GM passive strut, many of which will fit a large cross section of models - but Arnott installs a resistor on the strut that defeats the computor error message. I would have been much happier with OEM struts, but, the price is prohibitive up here! There are 3 STS's in my houshold, and my youngest lad had the strut error message, but used a new GM passive strut. The ride is OK, but of course he still has the error message, and just lives with it.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived