CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I've died and gone to Heaven !!

JLAWS

Truly an amazing vehicle!!! Pictures do no justice what so ever compared to seeing it in person. I own a small car detailing business and I polished up a red XLR over the weekend. Before doing the job the client followed behind me. From the rear view it looked very intimidating. It's wide and low to the ground. This particular one had after market 20 inch wheels with 255/35/20 in the front and 285/30/20 tires in the back. So seeing it from behind looked like a steam roller!

I started with the hood first and notice it was huge! I loved the sophisticated headlights. I opened hood and I though I'd see the familiar looking northstar engine bay set up like my 98 STS but to my suprise it looked completely different. The engine seemed to be turned 90 degrees ? Instead of horizontal it was vertical. The engine looked much bigger than the current STS. Probably due to the huge engine block cover. I noticed no wires or the usual plumbing were showing. Everything was covered. The truck opens automatically. Press on a rubber pad and the car trunk electroncally raises up to it normal level. Hit it again and it goes even higher. Hit another button and it closes itself.

Now for the interior. To get in you have to have the key on you. There are no door handles!! You press on a rubber pad behind the door and the window comes down a 1/2 inch and the door pops open. I got in and didn't close the door complete and I swear the door closed itself ! To exit you hit a button. Right away I automatically assumed that a key hole for the ignition would just be too primitive for this advanced vehicle. I was right there was none! You hit a button and the car starts up. It felt kinda weird since I am used to cranking my car with a key and "feeling" the engine catch and start up. Hitting the button felt like I was leaning on a clothes dryer and hitting the start button. The XLR rocked left to right once I started it rather than lurching forward like my STS. I guess because of the vertical engine placement. I revved the engine and had a very smoother refined V8 roar. It redlines much faster than my STS.

The highlight of the car's interior is the sophisticated touch screen Navigation system. It seems most of the car is controlled thru the system ie radio, climate etc. There was just a dizzying amount of options. Im sure the car manual must be over 500+ pages! I had a hard time changing the radio station so I gave up. The sounds were crystal clear. Of course not enough bass for me :P

Now for the test drive. I was pretty scared to drive it since I was driving a car totaling near $90K with everything. I drove with the top up to draw less attention :lol: , and immediate I got stares by all who drove past me. Some who were on cell phones stopped talking and just had their mouths wide open. Of course the spinning wheels while I was at the light drew some of those stares. The car felt extremely planted to the ground, wide and low to the ground. If course I had to slam on the gas and I immediately felt the car slingshot forward. The engine/exhaust sounds are so addictive that you'd beat on it just to listen to it.

I had a few neighbors stop by and they had no idea what was in my drive way. I told them it was a Caddy and they could not believe it. The only thing tame about the new caddies for me are probably the stock wheels. After market rims instantly enhances the looks. Look at the Majority of Escalade owners out there that don't ride with on their stock rims! You'll find very few that do keep them on.

I had mixed feelings about where Cadillac was going in terms of style. They broke away from their traditional compromising style I have to say the "Art and Science" theme really works for me and I'm sold. As I stated earlier, picture do no justice. The new Caddy line's style is distictive and doesn't have to beg to be noticed. It truly stick in public. More importantly the technology, handling and performance etc equals or exceed those imports and will acutally win in well known car magazines that do comparo tests.

I can't wait to see the New STS on the roads. Especially the ones with tasteful after market rims. As part of a family that all have Caddies, I am very proud and will continue to stay loyal to the brand. I may have to put my house plans on hold and get the 05 STS !

Later

"I revved the engine and had a very smoother refined V8 roar. It redlines much faster than my STS. " "Of course the spinning wheels while I was at the light drew some of those stares. The car felt extremely planted to the ground, wide and low to the ground. If course I had to slam on the gas and I immediately felt the car slingshot forward. The engine/exhaust sounds are so addictive that you'd beat on it just to listen to it. "

:o If this was my car your were talking about "redlines faster" & "spinning wheels" I would assume that you are reving it in neutral & burning rubber. You would need a paid up hospitalization plan :angry:

This is one reason that I don't let ANYBODY other than my wife & daughters drive my STS. They KNOW better. I hope! <_<

Anyway, I suppose the urge to "try it out" was irresistable. I certainly wouldn't have put it in writing that I "redlined" his engine, or admitted to "spinning wheels" :ph34r:

Hopefully the owner won't see this thread and come to you wanting an explanation. :blink:

Take Care!! :lol:

Britt

By "spinning wheels" he means Spreewheels...or DUB spinners....

Hey thanks for clarifying that for "Navion." That car had on $12K Davin Wheels.

Hey Navion, I guess you are too old to realize that rims these days actually have a face that spins while you are stopped. Check out MTV Cribs, Or "Pimp My Ride" or just watch A few videos on BET, to see these "special wheels." Maybe your daughter might be able to tell you when these shows come on ;)

FYI the car was handled with care and respect. I revved it in park once in the drive way. Got on the gas when on a roll. I didn't do a neutal rev drop into drive and spin the wheels. Nice cut and paste job, Jerky :P

OK, let's break out the Prozac and play nice :D

I remember driving my first "hot" car. I was 16, and went out to run errands with my friend's dad. He drove a 911 Turbo Carrera. Way out on a country road, he pulled over, got out, and said, "you drive a while." After a brief "instructional period," and some "in service training," I was enjoying the HELL out of all that power, and the amazing handlin characteristics, despite my complete inability and lack of experience.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Hey JLAWS,

I stand corrected. :) I admit that when I first read your post I thought that you were burning rubber at the intersection. When I went back and reread it, it became apparent to me that you were talking about "Spree Wheels" or somthing similar.. I don't think that I insinuated that you were reving in neutral and dropping it into gear. That WOULD be a capital crime! <_<

As far as being "to old", tell me, what is the alternative? :blink: Remember, anything that you suggest for me will someday apply to you (if you are lucky.) :P

As for my post to you, it was done without malice. The point that I was making was that when a customer leaves his vehicle for service, he usually dosen't expect it to be driven unless it is a necessecary part of the service. If the owner granted permission for a test drive, then great. I work on airplanes and will fly them if the owner requests it. But with the liability insurance costs these days, :angry: I get the consent in writing.

Anyway, if I stepped on a nerve, I apologize. B)

Navion

Britt

Hey JLAWS,

I stand corrected.  :)  I admit that when I first read your post I thought that you were burning rubber at the intersection. When I went back and reread it, it became apparent to me that you were talking about "Spree Wheels" or somthing similar.. I don't think that I insinuated that you were reving in neutral and dropping it into gear. That WOULD be a capital crime!  <_>

As far as being "to old", tell me, what is the alternative?  :blink:  Remember, anything that you suggest for me will someday apply to you (if you are lucky.)  :P 

As for my post to you, it was done without malice. The point that I was making was that when a customer leaves his vehicle for service, he usually dosen't expect it to be driven unless it is a necessecary part of the service. If the owner granted permission for a test drive, then great. I work on airplanes and will fly them if the owner requests it. But with the liability insurance costs these days,  :angry: I get the consent in writing.

Anyway, if I stepped on a nerve, I apologize. B)

Navion

Nice reply . . .

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived