CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Remote

Scotty

I had been having an intermittant remote. I cleaned the contacts, changed the battery, totally disassembled it to clean it, and nothing seemed to improve its performance. Finally it stopped working. Inspecting it closely and I noticed a grey component on the board that had broken loose, undoubtely from dropping it (see arrow). I soldered it back in position and it's working perfect! Just wanted to share my experience in case you guys have any remotes sitting in a drawer somewhere, Mike

post-3-1089584644.jpg

PS, that photo was taken with a Nikon 55mm Micro lens with a Nikon 8008s at a distance of about 3 inches with an SB-24 flash and Costco transferred it to CD, not bad! It would have been better with a ring flash but that is such a specific use 'toy' that I can not justify the expense. Mike

I had been having an intermittant remote. I cleaned the contacts, changed the battery, totally disassembled it to clean it, and nothing seemed to improve its performance. Finally it stopped working. Inspecting it closely and I noticed a grey component on the board that had broken loose, undoubtely from dropping it (see arrow). I soldered it back in position and it's working perfect! Just wanted to share my experience in case you guys have any remotes sitting in a drawer somewhere, Mike

Yep - I had the same thing happen to my '96 remote about 6 months ago - one of the two leads was severed from the circuit board. I soldered it back in place and it has been fine since.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I had been having an intermittant remote.  I cleaned the contacts, changed the battery, totally disassembled it to clean it, and nothing seemed to improve its performance.  Finally it stopped working.  Inspecting it closely and I noticed a grey component on the board that had broken loose, undoubtely from dropping it (see arrow).  I soldered it back in position and it's working perfect!  Just wanted to share my experience in case you guys have any remotes sitting in a drawer somewhere, Mike

Yep - I had the same thing happen to my '96 remote about 6 months ago - one of the two leads was severed from the circuit board. I soldered it back in place and it has been fine since.

Excellent! I am glad to see that you experienced the same issue. Thanks, Kevin

I wish the keypad was available as a service part.....the symbols are worn off my '96 and the '93 remotes. I still have the second set of gold keys and remote for my '93 (that have not been used) but I want to keep them in original condition.

I need to find an ink that I can silkscreen the buttons with the words "LOCK", "UNLOCK", "TRUNK" and "FUEL" instead of those symbols....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived