CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Is my car supposed to do that?

STS Scott

My STS has always done this, for the four years I've had it now.

When manuvering the car at a low speed (ie. parallel parking, or parking in general) there comes a somewhat loud "pop" from the drivetrain. It happens right when the car is about to stop, after the brakes have been applied. Usually in reverse, too. I sometimes think I ran over a pop can, or If I have someone in the car with me, they think I hit something! lol

I am assuming this is common with other Northstar powered cars out there?

The noise doesn't seem problematic, I am just curious as to what is producing it.

Thanks!

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

I'm sure it's not the CV joints. The noise is emmited just before you stop. It does not seem steering related. I would guess it is coming from the transmission.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Frank,

could you elaborate a bit?

What exactly do you mean, and what is needed to repair it?

Thanks

Scott

You might need to look at your constant velocity joints, they tend to pop when worn out and you are turning the wheel hard right or hard left.

I was thinking the samething franey. STS Scott, last time i checked caddys were sold with pop cans :) . Post the fix when you get it figured out..... and good luck.

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

The thing is, it does not happen when turning the wheel. It could make the noise WHILE turning the wheel...just the same as it could if not. For this reason I find it hard to believe that this "pop" is steering related. My guess is the tranny.

Any other thoughts? I guess this noise is not as common place as I once assumed!

Scott

Frank,

could you elaborate a bit?

What exactly do you mean, and what is needed to repair it?

Thanks

The rack & pinion was bad. I would make the same noise that you described - a pop when turning the wheels. It got replaced. Actually 3 times before they got one that was okay, but that's a different story... :blink:

Archived