CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

The Northstar Wins again

danbuc

Today I was driving to my friends house and on the way I stopped at an intersection where two lanes merge into one about 300 ft or so down the road. Right next to me was a Dogde Magnum RT (HEMI Powered). While we were waiting for the light to change we both started creeping forwards inch by inch hoping to to pull ahead of eachother when it turned green. When the light changed, we both mashed the throttle and took off. He pulled ahead for about a second until the Northstar hit about 4500 rpm. At that point I think he was a little surprised when I got in front of him and rocketed down the road leaving him in the dust. It was definitely very cool to out accelerate this guy. I thought the Hemi would have put up more of a fight. :)

Today I was driving to my friends house and on the way I stopped at an intersection where two lanes merge into one about 300 ft or so down the road. Right next to me was a Dogde Magnum RT (HEMI Powered). While we were waiting for the light to change we both started creeping forwards inch by inch hoping to to pull ahead of eachother when it turned green. When the light changed, we both mashed the throttle and took off. He pulled ahead for about a second until the Northstar hit about 4500 rpm. At that point I think he was a little surprised when I got in front of him and rocketed down the road leaving him in the dust. It was definitely very cool to out accelerate this guy. I thought the Hemi would have put up more of a fight. :)

Nice, I like that both of you were staging, so no one was taken by surprise!

Not to sound rude or anything....but he didnt want to race you....Ive driven these and they have a mid 5 sec to high 5 sec 0-60 with a high 13 sec 1/4. And they are limited at 155 if im not mistaken.........if he was really racing he would have wooped you, and most other cars for that matter.

Ignore the man behind the curtain and chalk it up as a WIN! :lol::lol:

I definently give you the credit for a win.....but you are in a different class.....a better class I might add...one of speed, power, and luxury...not to mention looks.

Hes in the muscle and bustle class......bustle for haulin other stuff besides @ss.

Ignore the man behind the curtain and chalk it up as a WIN!  :lol:  :lol:

I definently give you the credit for a win.....but you are in a different class.....a better class I might add...one of speed, power, and luxury...not to mention looks.

Hes in the muscle and bustle class......bustle for haulin other stuff besides @ss.

:lol: well said

Maybe the guy with the NEW Dodge Magnum was still breaking it in and pressed 1/2 way on the gas :P

That Magnum has 340hp and 390 torque and it rwd with a 5 speed tranny.

Don't make em mad. He'll try next time. :D

I love my 98 STS. The perfect balance of luxury and performance

Heh.. All I want is for my STS to do at least a 5.0 sec 0-60 and lowish 13's in the quarter mile.. unfortunately, there isn't any modifications out there to try except exhaust

12mpg......thats for the 1500 trucks not the Magnum with MDS. I doubt the EPA would allow such a thing as a family car to only get 12mpg. But even with MDS....doesnt the Caddy still get better all around mileage....some guys on the magnum forum claim almost 30 mpg on the highway...but city is like 16-18....I think the caddy can get better city then that.

some guys on the magnum forum claim almost 30 mpg on the highway...but city is like 16-18....I think the caddy can get better city then that.

That sounds about right. The Northstar gets, at best (LD8), 30 mpg on the road and, at worst (L37), 16-18 in town. My LD8 averages about 18 in town, and I know a lot of STS owners here complain about mileage worse than that. Sounds like the MDS is working good in the Hemi...giving those owners the best of both worlds. (as far as performance and mileage go).

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

16-17 in the city , 24-27 on the highway from my STS

Not the best, but not bad either.. sure beats the hell outta 10mpg in the city from my expedition (which is also a 4.6) heh

couple of things regarding the hemi: the final drive on the 5.7 is quite tall, so launches from a dead stop might be somewhat doggy...the mds, from what i have read, does NOT work in the city mode...only when the car is cruising at speed will the mds cut it...shouldn't help city fuel economy at all. jackg 90seville 94k

I hate to ask, but what is so great about a HEMI? Wouldn't a 32 valve DOHC be better than some inline valves with the plug in the middle of the head (HEMI). I also heard that some of the new ones have 2 spark plugs per cylinder? Seems kinda odd to me, don't know if that's true or not....

Whats great about the Hemi is that its advertised sooo much and that the best part of it......MDS in my opinion while great at keeping fuel sipping to a minimum in this application its just not enough.........5.7 or the new 6.0 chevy can get almost 30 mpg at times and thats without any type of fancy computer tricks....just good engineering.....now take MDS and put it in the Viper and then well talk. Id actully really like to see that.

The Hemi thing is alot of hype to sell cars and trucks today. They were a great engine that made big HP in the past, and stock in the day were hot. Today it is used as a marketing tool, living on the past reputation as a muscle car engine. What they have going for them is big HP in a smaller car, the Magnum, and chryslers money to build the new hemis with very good HP for CID. They will sell lots of these cars and make lots of money just because of the Hemi reputation as a race car engine. These hemis of today are not your daddys hemi of the 60s and 70s. They are a new design just like all of todays engines. Hey that thing got a Hemi, LOL , great marketing going to sell alot of cars and trucks on that one. On a side note I saw a review on there new truck that bosts the worlds fastest truck at 156 mph or something like that, with a viper engine and I think they said 6 speed stick. Base price for the truck with out the V10 was $22k, loaded as tested with the V10 was over $43k. Thats alot of options :blink: .

Jeff

I do believe they are a considerable step up in power when compared to the 318 (5.2) and 360 (5.9) motors of the past. Elsewise I haven't followed the hype WRT these engines.

The Northstar motors still makes over 1 HP per cubic inch where as the Hemi comes up a tad short. It would be interesting to see the power output of a production 5.7/350 cu/in Northstar if one were produced ... and applied as the 4.6 Northstars are currently.

Those old 426 Hemi's ... when they were hitting on all 8 cylinders they had a lot of potential, but there were other good engines out there as well during that era!

Jim

Archived