CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Carbon Buildup

Hello all

I noticed on my 92 Seville 4.9L that there is alot of carbon buildup under the throttle plates of the throttle body.

What's the best way to clean these and should the throttle body be removed from the car.

I noticed that the car lunges of the lights (normal acceleration). The engine, I'm sure, is also a bit tired as it has 190K miles but the gas milage is still ok and doesn't burn any oil.

Thanks for your help

Frank

Sea Foam :) (they make 2 products that I use.. one is deep creep and the other is just a little can of stuff that u can put in oil/gas/down intake whatever)

Cleans out everything. Was originally made to be used on boat engines but works gret on cars :) I'd still take a towel and clean off the throttle body plate with it (using deep creep or tb cleaner if u wanna buy another can just for that) and around the barrel as much as you can. Deep creep says to just spay it on and let it sit then start the engine but it still works better if you wipe it off :> Then you ought to get another 100k out of it :>

Carb cleaner and a toothbrush will work also. Just clean off the back side of the throttle plate and the perimiter of the bore around the throttle plate. Don't forget to rod out the two EGR tubes behind the throttle plate. That may be the cause of your problem. They are likely all carboned up.

bigfoo forgot to mention that Sea Foam works great at sealing leaky trunks as well. Just kidding buddy....couldn't resist. Say how is the leaky truck coming along anyhoo?

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Hahah.. SEA FOAM RULES :) Anyway, as soon as I figure out how to replace the 'molding nuts' I think that will take care of it.. I caulked everything else. UNless the 3rd brakelight is letting in water behind it and it's dripping down onto the ledge.. that will be caulked next :>>>>>>>>

Archived