CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

What's a good paint job cost?

Bentham

Hi there, I've been wanting to get my car repainted.. my entire car.. and I can't find anyone willing to do it. They want to 'spot-paint' it but after getting an estimate for the hood and some 'spot-painting' in excess of $1000.. I'm beginning to wonder what it would cost for the whole car. Any advice?

-Eric

Eric

93 Cad Seville 100K

95 Chev Blazer 143K [garaged summers] :)

You could easily get the whole car done for $1000 at some paint shop.. however it won't be a factory finish.. It will probably be enamel and not have the baked on clearcoat like a dealer would (should) do if they repainted.. Usually a repaint from dealer costs $3000 or more for a correct job.. Enamels last at least a few years,, maybe more if you take care of it.. wax it big time right away with something good if you get it and then keep it waxed or it won't last. I repainted my whole car myself in gloss black enamel.. it looked just fine for years (not the cadillac, an old mustang). It still looks good and I think it's been almost 10 years since it was painted although it does have a lot of chips and things because it wasn't baked on or clearcoated (with what the factory uses anyway). I think that cost me $500 or $600. All they do is just lightly sand down to the primer or sometimes even just down past the clearcoat and then just tape it off and spray it on and let it dry and boom it's done. Real cheap :) I'd only do that if it was bad though. you can repaint small parts by sanding the clearcoat off and taking one of those spray cans of touch up paint or matched color paint and painting the area and then using a rubbing compound to 'smooth' the newly painted area into the factory paint and then clearcoating it with another spray or just waxing it well. Probaly cost you less than $80 to do it yourself and probaly a whole day or two to get it done but it's worth it if the car isn't worth a whole lot. Bah i'm blabbing again

I did my 93. I dissassembled the car and it was totally preped (primer and sand bout 5 times) gave it to a body shop... Full baking treatment, newest paint tech w/pearl... $1,100.00

I did my 93. I dissassembled the car and it was totally preped (primer and sand bout 5 times) gave it to a body shop... Full baking treatment, newest paint tech w/pearl... $1,100.00

Most body shops will not allow a "stranger" to prep a car, they don't want to be liable for the finished results. You must hace known them and vice-versa...

I had an '84 Cutlass done about 10 years ago, and I'll fill you in on what I got from them...

When I bought the car, there were two blemishes. There was a small rust spot in the middle of the rear quarter panel. Just right there in the middle. Must have been a ding or a scrape or something that was never touched-up. There was also a rust "bead" dribbling down under the paint on the driver door under the lock cylinder. Body shop surmised it was from lock de-icer or something. Anyway, I elected to have the whole car repainted, because new paint, even well-matched paint, just never looks the same as 15-year-old paint. You'd really be able to tell after a few years of the paint wearing.

I had the whole thing done for $1600 (10 years ago). I thought that was a reasonable price. The quality of the paint was great. The prep work was a little lacking. There was some overspray under the hood from the hood-to-fender gap, there was some paint on some of the window seals, etc. Overall, I was happy with it. Many people have suggested to me that I could have removed all the windows, etc, before delivering the car to them. Remove all the emblems you can, etc. Basically, do as much prep work as you can yourself. Of course, make sure the shop will allow that.

I had that done at a local body shop. After 5-6 years, the paint still looked wonderful, and I got compliments on it at every car show I entered the car in. Check around in your area and ask people if they've had paint work done before. I'm sure you'll find out very quickly what the good and bad shops are.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

update: my dad's... sister's... husband owns a paint shop and can get my car fully repainted between 800-900 bucks. Looks like I'm going on a little adventure before summer is over with.

thanks

-Eric

Eric

93 Cad Seville 100K

95 Chev Blazer 143K [garaged summers] :)

"Basically, do as much prep work as you can yourself. Of course, make sure the shop will allow that." I don't think the shop would mind if you took it upon yourself to remove ALL the dirt that could fly around when it's being sprayed...Door jambs, around all weather strips, everywhere you can think of. I had one painted and removed: locks, all trim, grill, side marker lights, tail lights, chrome door handles. The shop was happy with all my work because they didn't have to do as much masking or cleaning...

rek

I did my 93.  I dissassembled the car and it was totally preped (primer and sand bout 5 times) gave it to a body shop... Full baking treatment, newest paint tech w/pearl... $1,100.00

Most body shops will not allow a "stranger" to prep a car, they don't want to be liable for the finished results. You must hace known them and vice-versa...

Ok, you got me... I knew him and brought him a little business... paid cash :)

Archived