CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Tire size

kcd1184

I've been looking around at tires for my 94 Eldo. OEM is 225/60 R16. Most of the tires I have looked at have an actual tread width in the low 7. something inch range. Cooper has one that is 8.1 inches wide. Does anybody know if that extra inch width will creat any kind of problem? Overall diameter is 26.63 inches.

Kent

Someone once told me not to put "more tread" than the width of the rim.. SO if you have a 16 X 8 inch then go for it... MD

Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it!

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

I've been looking around at tires for my 94 Eldo. OEM is 225/60 R16. Most of the tires I have looked at have an actual tread width in the low 7. something inch range. Cooper has one that is 8.1 inches wide. Does anybody know if that extra inch width will creat any kind of problem? Overall diameter is 26.63 inches.

Kent

What's the actual size of those Coopers? On my '93 STS, I'm currently running 255/50x16 Michelin Pilots on '97 16x7 mags. This puts 8 1/2 inches of rubber on the ground with no problems whatsoever. There's only .6" difference in diameter from stock there, (2.2%) giving a speedo error of 1 mph (high). Even lowered 1.5" with Eibach springs, and "spirited" driving this setup causes no rubbing or erratic handling. I'm on my second set of Pilots with these dimensions, the first set went a bit over 40,000 miles.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Yeah, I don't think the extra width would make a difference. The wheels are only 7" wide, so the stock tires are already technically wider than the stock wheels. The actual tread width isn't as important as the section width. Be sure you're comparing apples to apples...if the TREAD width of the Coopers is 8.1, I bet the section width is closer to 9"...which would make it a really wide 225mm tire.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

The stats on the Cooper tire I'm looking at are as follows:

Size-225/60ZR16 Service Desc.-98W UTQG-300AA A

Approved Rim Width -6.00 to 7.50 Meas. Rim Width-6.50

Section Width-9.17 Overall Diameter-26.63 Tread Width-8.10

Maximum Load- 1650lbs It's called a Cobra GTZ

Kent

Kent, that's a pretty WIDE 225mm tire. 225 mm = 8.8". Tires are usually a tad narrower than the nominal size, not wider. I just checked Michelin's website, to check out what the Pilot XGT H4 is, just out of curiosity, and low and behold, it's about as wide as the Cooper (9.0" section width, with an overall diameter of 26.9"). I'd say that Cooper tire would easily fit on the stock 16x7" wheel.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

The size should work out fine but most of the time Cooper tires are a little bigger even in the same size as say Michelin I had Cooper touring SLE Touring tires on a dts and they handled well The ride was good I went to Michelin in the same size 235/55/ 17 The michelins ride real well but are a much smaller tirer in the same size tire as the cooper The cooper tires handled much better than the michelin mxmv4plus but I am happy with the michelins for the ride comfort The car really rides nice but with the coopers the car handled much better and was more responsive All in all I will stick with the Michelin just for the ride comfort I am running the Michelins at 28 psi cold and it appears to work for me I usually don't push the car hard that much so a tire that rides good is what I was after.Hey caddy's are big heavy cars(devilles) not the car I would choose to push hard around town but it sure can handle well if I choose to drive it hard..It is just a matter of what you want the tire to do I do notice with the Michelins I engauge the stability system more so then with the cooper SLE's but the michelins were the tire of choice for cadillac for one reason or another Maybe just cost issue(cheaper)who knows The inch wider tires will put more rubber on the road which your car will handle better and stop faster but you will lose some of the comfortable ride qualities of a smaller tire..all in all it's your call as to what tire you go with Try to find a good tire shop that will let you exchange them within a couple hundred miles if you don't like them The guy I deal with does this all I have to do is pay the price diff. for another set which a couple times it was in my favor..and I did get some monies back after the exchange..

Good Luck on your tire choice

Cheers

Jim

Kent, that's a pretty WIDE 225mm tire. 225 mm = 8.8". Tires are usually a tad narrower than the nominal size, not wider. I just checked Michelin's website, to check out what the Pilot XGT H4 is, just out of curiosity, and low and behold, it's about as wide as the Cooper (9.0" section width, with an overall diameter of 26.9"). I'd say that Cooper tire would easily fit on the stock 16x7" wheel.

Tire width will vary slightly from OEM to OEM...

Archived