CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Inspecting/Cleaning Fuel Injectors

EJPut

I have been unable to solve the stumble so far so I want to inspect and clean the fuel injectors. After I remove the intake manifold cover, what is the easiest way to test them to see if one may be clogged? And if it is, how do I go about cleaning it?

Thanks,

Eric

you don't have to take the manifold off to inspect them. i'd suggest taking the rail off, and then pulling each one out. then plug them back into the rail and pressurize it. touch the leads of a 9v battery to the leads of the injectors and watch the spray pattern and strength, etc. go ahead and replace the o rings when you put them in for good. they are cheap and you can get them anywhere.

sorry, i don't know what i was thinking. 93 sts... N*, duh. on your own!

when you have the injector under fuel pressure (normal is 1 bar, i think) take a 9v battery and little jumper wires, and connect + to + and touch - to -. that will open the injector and you can observe your spray.

when i was looking for fuel injectors, i found a place that your "overhaul" your injectors for $20 a piece. apparently that includes completely taking them apart and cleaning and replacing screens and stuff. if you find that you do need injector service that might be the cheapest way to go. let me know if you need a link...i'll hunt it up.

I have been unable to solve the stumble so far so I want to inspect and clean the fuel injectors. After I remove the intake manifold cover, what is the easiest way to test them to see if one may be clogged? And if it is, how do I go about cleaning it?

Thanks,

Eric

How many miles on your 93? Have you checked for carbon buildup first? Carbon buildup is a very common "problem" that can cause stumbling, idle swings, hiccups, loss of power, etc. Once I cleaned out the carbon in the phenolic spacer plates and replaced the EGR canister (may not have needed a new canister) all was better.

-kg

207,000 miles

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

169000mi, I have already done that, this problem is driving me nuts. I have replaced the wires, plugs, checked the coil packs, cleaned throttle body,phenolic spacers, new EGR. Not showing any codes so it is getting more difficult to diagnose, which is why I want to check the fuel injectors.

How about the injector cleaning solvents?

Hmmm maybe as a last resort. Could cause other problems in doing so. This is probably a silly question but since i don't know everything you've done or tried I'll take another stab. Have you changed the fuel filter and cleaned the throttle body?

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I'm not sure if the 93 sts has the same feature but on my 92 sls 4.9 the fuel injectors can be tested individually through the diagnostics.If you have the service manual it will explain.

I have cleaned the throttle body but have not changed the fuel filter. I thought about doing that, I did add some gas that may have been dirty from a gas can that I use for the mower (long story). Also, if there is a way I can test the injectors from the OBD, I will, I have the service manuals and see what I can find out. Thanks.

Fuel Injector testing with the On Board Diagnostics is covered in the Powertrain Manual.

See Injector Flow/Resistance Check pg. 6C-28 (note 6 pages)

See also Power Balance Check pg. 6C-34 (note 4 pages)

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Archived