CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

wheel hub - again

95 etc close to 140k

OK, so I replaced the wheel hub bearing assy last december (drivers side - and did the other side since then), and then drive axle a month ago. After a couple of weeks I started hearing a wup wup wup, that got louder when I turned, seemed to be the drivers side. Turns out that the hub bearing assy was the problem, again. So why did it fail (mfg by SKF btw)?

Maybe there was a defect, or could I have damaged it by tightening the hub nut too tight?

Any opinions? I don't want to take it back if it was my fault. I did not know the torque and I really tightened it (i have a 3 foot aluminum pipe that fits over the rachet. In looking at it again, its silly to tighten that nut so much anyway, if it wasn't there, nothing would happen, all its doing is keeping the drive axle spline from sliding in and out relative to the hub. Thats important but its not like its keeping the wheel from flying off or anything like that.

Well, no one seems to have an opinion, so I will say for the benefit of anyone doing a wheel hub or a drive axle replacement .... I think that the wheel bearing can be damaged if the hub nut is tightened too much.

I am really good at those replacements now, but they are not skills that I was trying to develop ....

So take care. Get a manual and use the torque specs.

I think those nuts are supposed to be hit at 100 lbs or more.. That's pretty tight.. It might take at least a 1.5 foot bar to get that done easily. How much did you tighten it? You can usually judge by how hard you had to turn to get the nut off as to how hard you should turn it to put it back on

I think that the wheel bearing can be damaged if the hub nut is tightened too much

Frankly, I do not think so. There should be another reason.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I got the 100lb figure after a couple of weeks. I loosened the nut a bit and then torqued it to 100. So how tight was it?? can only guess, but couldn't have been over 120 to 140.

Is that enough to deform the bearing and cause it to fail?

Not an answerable question, I believe ...

I got the 100lb figure after a couple of weeks. I loosened the nut a bit and then torqued it to 100. So how tight was it?? can only guess, but couldn't have been  over 120 to 140.

Is that enough to deform the bearing and cause it to fail?

Not an answerable question, I believe ...

Sure, it's an answerable question. Under normal circumstances, you cannot damage the bearing by tightening the axle nut. The bearing is designed so

that you cannot increase the bearing preload beyond what the factory wants.

On the other hand, you are mistaken when you think that the nut does

nothing more then hold the axle in place. It also holds the bearing together.

I've seen many a wheel bearing ruined instantly because the nut was either

not put back on or was not tightened. As soon as the weight of the car is

on the bearing and you roll the car, it's toast.

You probably just got a bad bearing assembly.

Ian

Thanks, I see now. Didn't realize the bearing would pop apart in that way. From casual observation it looks like its all sealed up in there...

And thanks for the professional opinion. I can take the bad one back with a clear consciense now. I wasn't going to because I thought it was my fault.

Archived