CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Tearing into my newly aquired 94 STS motor

Today I tore into my 94 STS motor I have at my shop a bit. I took off everything down to the head/cams. Everything on the top is off, intake/fuel rail/injectors, valve covers, starter, plugs/wires and all.

My question to you guys is, how far should I take my "rebuild" with the motor only having about 80K on it. I want it to be refreshed, clean and ready to roll but not sure if a complete rebuild is nesessary. So I figured I would talk to the people that would know best. YOU GUYS! :) Ill post a few pics of what she looks like currently.

Also I am not looking to spend more than say $500 on this, so I'm guessing that would include the following....

-Full gasket set

-Starter

-getting electric water pump so I know that was on the tip of your tougne! lol

THANX FOR THE HELP any other ideas?

Yeah, why did you tear into an 80K motor? It's just getting broken in. If your going to remove the heads, plan on timeserting the block so you don't have to do it again in a year or so.

Why an electric water pump?

Sounds like he is building it for a hot rod, so at 80K there is no way anyone is going to put that in anything without work. Am I right? That explains the electric WP, may be going in a FWD car.

Yeah guys Its going into a 1994 Pontiac Grand Prix. I'm using a 1987 Turbo Grand National rear end. :ph34r: Yes I'm converting it to a RWD car. I'm using a 99 Trans Am front suspension and a 2002 Camaro SS 6 speed trans. B) So the reason for the electric water pump is so that I can push the rear of the motor up as close to the firewall as possible (for better weight transfer), so I'm taking off the water jacket/water pump in the rear to get that extra 5-8 inches of clearance. Maybe ill just seal her up good as is and put her back together. Also. When I got it, the topend was all loose as if someone tore i down to inspect it and then just threw it back together for shipping.

Man that's a BIG job.. How are you fitting the transmission into the car? Not to mention the rear end. That thing is going to FLY in a grand prix with a manual tranny. You MUST take pics :>

The reason I am doing it this way, is because ANYONE can open up a magazine or shop online and have bolt on parts shipped to their house. Then be faster or whatever than my project. I consider this a CUSTOM project and there will only be ONE of this breed. :D Not just anyone can order parts and do what I'm doing. I consider those cars to be very common and no fun. Whats the fun of having a car that everyone else has, B) NONE. Hope that explains my madness lol

I will take plenty of pictures!! DONT WORRY ITS FULLY DOCUMENTED!

The reason I am doing it this way, is because ANYONE can open up a magazine or shop online and have bolt on parts shipped to their house. Then be faster or whatever than my project. I consider this a CUSTOM project and there will only be ONE of this breed. :D Not just anyone can order parts and do what I'm doing. I consider those cars to be very common and no fun. Whats the fun of having a car that everyone else has, B) NONE. Hope that explains my madness lol

I will take plenty of pictures!! DONT WORRY ITS FULLY DOCUMENTED!

God bless you, my friend, for echoing my sentiments of many years of "projects."

I used to hear the same thing all the time in the Harley world when I would build a custom bike. People would always say "it's just so different... why are you putting all that money and effort into THAT bike... when you could do this or that with parts from a catalog?" And I would patiently explain the same basic ideas that you put forth: 1) Because it will be a one-of-a-kind item. 2) Because any idiot with a credit card and a reasonably knowledgable parts guy can build an "off-the-shelf" custom. 3) Because without people pushing the envelope of what can be accomplished, we'd never know what the limits really are. And there are no limits.

Labors of love are never rational. :) Can't wait to see your Grand Prix when you're done with it.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

right ,i can see now! how about putting the engine in the trunk,and the spare under the hood

Well, 'cuz then you'd have a really fast VW Beetle, and that's already been done before!

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived