Ordered:

- Pre-Cat O2 Sensor ($66.99)

- Post-Cat O2 Sensor ($66.99)

- ACDelco .05 Platinum Spark Plugs

- ACDelco PCV Valve

- ACDelco Air Filter

- ACDelco Fuel Filter

Total: $216.59 (shipping included)

Now.. Pep Boys quoted this job would cost $460.00 approx. if they were to service it. That's double the price.

Anyway,

Are the Pre-Cat and Post-Cat O2 Sensors the same?

I got PCM P0146 - Heated O2 Sensor Circuit Insufficient Bank 1 Sensor 3.. Which one is this exactly? The POS1, POS2, or POS3 O2 Sensor?

Also.. are the O2 Sensors HARD to get to? I heard that they might be.. anyone tune up their own cars? Thanks!

Bank 1 sensor 1 - right exhaust manifold (firewall side) PITA

Bank 1 sensor 2 - pre-cat

Bank 1 sensor 3 - aft -cat

Bank 2 sensor 1 - left ehaust manifold (radiator side)

I just spent :20 min. going thru the '97 service manual and can find no mention of a "primary" O2 sensor. If I had to guess at what they mean my guess would be bank 1 sensor 1 or both manifold sensors, bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 2 sensor 1.

"I got PCM P0146 - Heated O2 Sensor Circuit Insufficient Bank 1 Sensor 3.. Which one is this exactly? The POS1, POS2, or POS3 O2 Sensor?"

Your P0146 is telling you the sensor immediately behind the catalytic converter is not responding as expected.

There could be reasons other than a failed sensor. By now you are probably under the car with bleeding knuckles! I would examine the wire harness and connectors for damage or accumulated road crud before I replaced one. You want the wire harness to be as clean as possible (the outside air sample is obtained through the wire) and connections shiney and tight.

You can run some tests that require a high impedance voltmeter and pulling a vacuum hose to induce a lean mixture. Keep us informed of your progress.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

my 96 sts also has four o-2 sensors. each exhaust manifold has one ,identical part #s.theres two more farther down the exhaust one in front of the cat the last one after the cat.the last two are identical part #s. i think loose or bad connections are rare.when you get a code its a bad sensor

Remember NOT to apply any type of silicone grease or anything to the wires in the connector. The O2 sensors get their "fresh air" comparative sample through those wires (yes, between the strands).

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived