CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Need new strut mounts

Went to get michelin pilot sports rotated & balenced today and align if needed 1 year and 10,000 miles since last in. tech. said align. was fine. I've had a clunking sound for quite a while and was sure the stabilizer bushings were shot. Tech. checked and let me look, and all was tight. We took it for a test drive and he said it was the upper strut mounts. He said he bet I could replace them myself, and afterwards he would align. I can get the new mts. for about $85.00 ea.If I have access to a strut compressor is this hard? Had all 4 new gm rotors and pads installed yesterday,feel good,no pulse, shudder,or noise.Got new dove grey shift knob today,couldn't BELIEVE the difference over 10 yr. old one.ordered new ft. window/mirror weatherstip $89.00 new hood light $12.00 new ft. license pt. mt.$42.00 almost back to original shape. seat pad discontinued for my '94 will try parts direct

Yes, I've replaced them before, they can be pretty hard if you are not mechanically inclined. They sit right on top of the strut cartridge. You have to use a spring compressor to install them. There is only 1 nut holding them in. Generally when they go bad the steering becomes hard to turn, and the steering wheel dosen't return by itself after you make a turn. They generally don't make noises when they go bad. I would be more inclined to say that you have bad struts, as they tend to get loud when they go bad. If that is the case, go passive, the electronic ones aren't worth the money.

In regards to the weatherstrip, you have to remove two screws before you slide the door panel UP and then out. One is behind the lock control and the other is behind the top corner of the door carpet. (opening side) You need to pop it open with a smallscrew driver. It's actually a flap. The door panel rides on hooks that slide into pockets.

Archived