CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Boat Wax

ByStorm

Men, A few hours ago I was talking with a guy at work who has a '98 Mustang and the wax job is superb. He told me that he uses boat wax on his candy apple red paint. According to him, the wax job (one coat) last up to six months.

Then he told me the unthinkable.... he said when you want wax again strip the old wax off with dishwashing liquid as the soap. Then apply the boat wax again to last another six months.

Anyone heard of such a thing? :unsure:

ByStorm

Men, A few hours ago I was talking with a guy at work who has a '98 Mustang and the wax job is superb. He told me that he uses boat wax on his candy apple red paint. According to him, the wax job (one coat) last up to six months.

Then he told me the unthinkable.... he said when you want wax again strip the old wax off with dishwashing liquid as the soap. Then apply the boat wax again to last another six months.

Anyone heard of such a thing? :unsure:

ByStorm

This all depends on the type of wax that's on your car in the first place.

It's best to use a product designed to remove the wax, while at the same time, not harm the oils that are found in the paint. Zymol's HD-Cleanse is specifically designed for this purpose. It will remove the wax, any other "stuff" adhering to your paint and leave a smooth, perfect surface.

Dishwashing detergent should NEVER be used on a car, it's designed to strip oil and it does it very well. It will prematurely dry out your car's paint and cause alligator skin to appear and quickly.

Boat wax usually contains higher levels of carnauba wax, you can get the same or better results from using one of Zymol's products such as Zymol Estate Glazes which includes their Titanium brand of wax. It contains 51 percent carnauba wax. Their Atlantique wax contains 60 percent carnauba wax and their Vintage wax contains 61 percent carnauba wax. Titanium, Atlantique and Vintage waxes should be applied by hand, literally. You take a small amount of the wax and warm it in your hands and rub it onto the car paint with the palm of your hand (no jewelry), let it stand a few minutes then rub it in one direction using a microwipe to set the crystals of carnauba wax. A few hours later, finish the job up by buffing lightly to a brilliant shine.

Zymol waxes are the factory wax used by Ferrari on all their cars.

A note about all carnauba wax based products: all carnauba wax yellows with age, therefore, to maintain the luster and depth of color that can only be found when using carnauba wax, it's important to use HD-Cleanse at least once a year on your car's finish, to literally remove all the wax and start over with a clean, clear surface.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

i've heard of using dawn dishwashing soap to strip off the wax and have even used it when changing brands of wax.

I bought some of that NANO wax the other day....haven't used it yet, but it is 10.00 at all the auto stores and has a 10.00 rebate making it free. It also comes with a microfiber towel (small) to remove the wax after it dries. It says it doesn't make that fine white dust stuff other waxes have. I'll report when I finally use it.

Jeff

Jeff

98 Concours

90 Seville

04 Corvette

It is important to remove a thick coat of wax every now and again. I agree with Marika -- I wouldn't use dish soap, but using a paint cleaner/wax remover is good for your paint. This is actually one of the reasons I like to use The Wax Shop's Super Glaze. It goes on thin and doesn't last all that long...maybe a month or two before water starts sheeting on the paint. I hate thick coats of wax, and using this product allows me to put a fresh coat of wax on periodically without having to do the process twice -- once with a wax remover and once to apply the wax. That's just one of the benefits of the Super Glaze, in my humble opinion. :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived