CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Airbag trouble

hjb981

I need some help and ideas. Sometimes when I start my '97 DeVille, it will say "SERVICE AIRBAG" in the DIC, together with the the red "AIRBAG" light on the dashbord. If it happens, turning the car off and then on again removes it (no need to reset codes). Last time it happened, both

B1147 - Driver Side Air Bag System Malfunction

B1148 - Passenger Side Air Bag System Malfunction

were set as "current" when I checked the codes. I guess the two codes are connected somehow - it seems unlikely that both airbags would malfunction independently at the same time. However, the first time it happened and I checked the codes, I only had the B1147.

Does anyone know what kind of malfunction could set the codes?

I am lost and need some input... Can I do anything myself, or does the fact that it involves the airbags mandate a visit to the shop? But even if I have to take it to the shop, it would be nice to have some idea of what could be going on first...

-Jonas

(I have asked the same thing on the Swedish part of the forum also, and if I get some input from there that solves the problem I will post it here also)

It seems to me, there was a recall on the '97's in relation to the SIR system. It appears it's related to the side bags.

Any idea if that was done?

General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 1997 and all 1998-1999 model year Cadillac DeVille model vehicles. The side impact air bags may deploy unexpectedly, without a crash, as the vehicle is started or during normal driving.

A driver or right front passenger in the proper driving or seating positions and using safety belts could receive minor injuries, such as bruising, from contact with a deploying side impact air bag. However, a driver or right front passenger that is too close to an inflating air bag could receive more serious injuries.

Correction

Dealers are to replace the driver and passenger side impact sensing modules. On vehicles that have had the side air bags temporarily disconnected, the temporary disconnect must be removed before replacing the side impact sensing modules (for U.S. see GM Administrative Message WIA20000141 and WIA20000142, transmitted December 13, 2000, and for Canada see e-mail transmitted November 8, 2000).

Thanks for the info, Logan!

Again, the codes were:

B1147 - Driver Side Air Bag System Malfunction

B1148 - Passenger Side Air Bag System Malfunction

Do those codes include the side airbags? I looked through the list of codes that I have access to (http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd2b.html#bod), and did not find any other codes there that looked to be specific for the side airbags. However, at least as of spring 2006, there were no recalls on my car (as far as I know). I did get one earlier (2004 or 2005) about the fuel rail (changed from plastic to metal to prevent risk of leakage).

Archived