CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Interior Fan Running No Key In Ignition

I have a 98 STS when I went to get in the car today the interior fan was running does anybody know anything about this. The outside temp was hot today about 90. I have had the car for three months and have had absolutely no problems with it, knock on wood.

I recalled something posted about the interior blower turing on by itself. This might not be a real problem, but just an "undocumented feature".

However, I could not find it specifically by "interior blower" or various, close terms. Some results noted that the blower will run if the blower-fan control module goes bad. This was mostly in older models and if failed - it would run all the time.

Did it run after the car sat overnight and was relatively cool in the morning? (hopefullly not).

Did it run after you had had operated the AC and it was very hot out ? (maybe OK)

I faintly recall something about running - only when hot ...having someting to do do with drying out the evaporator condensate...perhaps.

Good luck, maybe somenoe else will have a better memory... <_<

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Did it run after you had had operated the AC and it was very hot out ? (maybe OK)

Yes it was very hot outside today and I was using the a/c more than usual. I went in the house to grab some papers, I came back to the car I opened it up and I could hear the interior fan running. Thanks for the help TDK.

Jeff

Yup, that's it. About 20 minutes after it has been turned off in hot weather following a shutdown in which the AC was on the fan will clear out the moisture by running for five minutes or so. Prevents that stinky mold smell.

Now if the fan had been on any old time with the key off it could be a bad fan module which is expensive and frequently brought on by some ham-fist moving the ignition wires too close to the fan.

Your dealer, or someone with a scantool, can toggle this function on or off for you. It is called "afterblow" and the procedure is on page 1-52 of the Service Manual.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

If the fan continiously runs and the only way to stop it is to uplug it then your blower control module is bad. in pre 93 models the module was separate from the fan. On a 98 model the whole fan has to be replaced. Also make sure the spark plug wires are not too close to the blower motor.

Archived