CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Dynomax....What do I need?

EJPut

After 11 years and 168,000 miles of harsh New Hampshire winters, it is time to replace the original mufflers and the original cat. I am going with the Dynomax Superturbo XT's, I have read some prior posts and people seem to like them. My question(s) is, I can see that the drivers side muffler is clamped on and the passengers is not. Does this mean that I will have to cut the passengers off and have it welded on? Does the drivers side come with enough pipe to clamp onto the Y pipe? Also, where can I get an inexpensive cat, with the high mileage I don't want to have to spend a lot of money for this (eg..OEM). My father has a mig and arc welders so welding things on is not a problem. Also, does anyone recommend changing the Y pipe to a one with a larger diameter? Any hints as to how to take down the whole exaust from the cat back, it looks like after disonnecting the cat it will drop down.

Thanks for any help or suggestions,

Eric

Exhaust is extremely simple. Don't fret over it :)

You can cut it off, weld it on, clamp it on, get new pipes made, get custom pipes made.. it's all very easy. The only thing is that it has to be on rubber hangers so that it can move when the engine moves, unless yours has one of those little 'things' behind the engine that allows for some movement.

Most of the STS's have a big one piece exhaust.. You just remove it at the cat and the whole things comes off as one big piece. Of course you probaly don't want to take the entire thing off so you can have someone cut the cat out and then cut the mufflers out and replace.

I'm going to have someone cut the Y pipe out of mine and replace it because the one that is on there is really poorly designed.

I'm going to have someone cut the Y pipe out of mine and replace it because the one that is on there is really poorly designed.

What??????????????????

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I'll take a picture of it and show you. It's like.. someone cut a hole in the other pipe and shoved the other pipe into it and welded it together so the pipes have an angle to them when them come in instead of being a nice flow.

Archived