CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

instrument panel cluster

I think I have a problem with the instrument panel cluster, its supposed to light up, but its not, when the sun is on, its very hard for me sometimes to see how fats i drive, I know for sure its not supposed to be like that, and I have it already on full lighting. Anyone experienced the same problem??? Im thinking maybe a loose cable or something, the dealer could not find anything wrong with it, but Im sure theres something wrong.

any inputs please!!

regards

Henrik

Sweden

Do you have your twilight sentinental on? if the sensor is not working properly, then your headlights might be on during the day, which causes your dash lights to be dim.

Jeff

Jeff

98 Concours

90 Seville

04 Corvette

the twillight is not on, when I start the engine, the cluster looks good to me, but when i switch headlights on(which you are required to use at all time here), the light in cluster dissapear, I know this is not supposed to be like that, i tried another black sts before i got my own, and it did not have that problem

regards

Henrik

Sweden

That's the way it's supposed to work. When the headlights are on, either manually or automatically, the instrument panel dims. It thinks it's dark out if your lights are on and you don't need the instrument panel so bright. I don't know if there is anyway around this. I suppose there is, but then at night your instrument panel would be so bright.

Jeff

Jeff

98 Concours

90 Seville

04 Corvette

This may be to simple but you didn't mention if you tried turning the manual light switch, this will brighten or dim the instrument lights.

Jeff

I had a simaliar problem, but with a much older cadillac and pretty much the opposite. I had really bright insturment panel lights all the time. Even with the headlights on. Also with the headlights on I couldn't dim my insterment panel at all and I didn't have any dome lights. It turned out that I had a bad twilight sentinal photocell (determines day or night). I simply unplugged my photocell and the body control module thinks its night all the time. It sets a code, but even with the fault code present I still have dome lights when I open the doors and the instrument panel lights will dim like they are supposed to when you turn the headlights on or move the dimmer. One down fall is that the twilght sentinal doesn't work as it is supposed to (basically turning the headlights on and off). Which doesn't bother me because I have dome lights and dimming capability and most of all my license are suspended for more than a year. :angry: So if your instrument lights don't dim with the dimmer switch then I would say you have a problem, but if they do I guess I would have to agree with the other guy and say thats how it is suposed to be.

I had a simaliar problem, but with a much older cadillac and pretty much the opposite. I had really bright insturment panel lights all the time. Even with the headlights on. Also with the headlights on I couldn't dim my insterment panel at all and I didn't have any dome lights. It turned out that I had a bad twilight sentinal photocell (determines day or night). I simply unplugged my photocell and the body control module thinks its night all the time. It sets a code, but even with the fault code present I still have dome lights when I open the doors and the instrument panel lights will dim like they are supposed to when you turn the headlights on or move the dimmer. One down fall is that the twilght sentinal doesn't work as it is supposed to (basically turning the headlights on and off). Which doesn't bother me because I have dome lights and dimming capability and most of all my license are suspended for more than a year. :angry: So if your instrument lights don't dim with the dimmer switch then I would say you have a problem, but if they do I guess I would have to agree with the other guy and say thats how it is suposed to be.

The twighlight sentinel photocell is less than $25 at the dealer.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived