CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

tachometer

millwright71

Greetings all!

I have a strange problem with my tachometer fluctuating quickly at any rpm. It jumps quickly up and down about 100 rpm, yet the engine is running smoothly. Has anyone ever seen this? If so, did you find a fix for it? Wondering if it is just a cold weather thing, as it started doing it in the recent single digit temps we're having here.

millwright71 :wacko:

Had something similar. Turned out to be a short circuit under the driver's seat, which I cured by applying additional electrical tape (insulation).

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Had something similar. Turned out to be a short circuit under the driver's seat, which I cured by applying additional electrical tape (insulation).

I don't know how you guys locate and identify those kinds of problems. I would never think to look under my driver's seat for a short when my tach was acting jumpy.

I'll check that out. I had to fix the wiring under my driver's seat when i got the car. I, also, never would have thought to look under there for a jumpy tach. As always I get an immeasureable amount of helpful information from this site.

Generally, start with the wiring diagram for the gadget that is misbehaving. First look for anything else on the circuit, then look for anything else that shares the same ground.

Also, if you have multiple problems, some times if you fix the ones you DO know how to fix that simplifies the remaining issues. As I recall, my problem was on a 2 minute cycle, which confused me further, until I discovered there was a relay? instead of a fuse, and it was resetting every 2 minutes.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived