CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1997 STS trans problems

I was getting codes 753 and 758 so I replaced the shift solenoids and reset the codes. Still no high gears. There is continuity from the PCM through the shift solenoids. With switch turned on there is about 5VDC going to the solenoids. Can anyone help?

:welcomesmiley:

The two codes you give suggest that a connector is off, loose, or shorted. The ones most likely to get dirty and beat up are the ones under the car. I would start there.

I would suggest that you read the codes, write them all down, post them here. Link for instructions to do this from the driver's seat without a code reader is in my signature block. The codes will be of the form

PCM P0758 CURRENT

where the first three letters are an acronym for the module that threw the code, and the CURRENT or HISTORY at the end tells whether the code was last thrown since the car was started. Be sure and check the codes after driving the car but before you turn off the key, else all the codes will go to HISTORY.

Since you have done some work and there are likely HISTORY codes that may confuse the issue, you might consider clearing all the codes, driving the car, then checking the codes before you shut off the engine. You can clear the codes, one module at a time, using instructions found at the link in my signature block.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

:welcomesmiley:

The two codes you give suggest that a connector is off, loose, or shorted. The ones most likely to get dirty and beat up are the ones under the car. I would start there.

I would suggest that you read the codes, write them all down, post them here. Link for instructions to do this from the driver's seat without a code reader is in my signature block. The codes will be of the form

PCM P0758 CURRENT

where the first three letters are an acronym for the module that threw the code, and the CURRENT or HISTORY at the end tells whether the code was last thrown since the car was started. Be sure and check the codes after driving the car but before you turn off the key, else all the codes will go to HISTORY.

Since you have done some work and there are likely HISTORY codes that may confuse the issue, you might consider clearing all the codes, driving the car, then checking the codes before you shut off the engine. You can clear the codes, one module at a time, using instructions found at the link in my signature block.

I'm sorry I wasn't more specific - the two current codes are pcm p0758 current & pcm p0753 current. I cleared all codes prior to test drive. It's at a tranny shop getting diagnostics run right now. Maybe I'll find out something. - Thank you, Randy

Archived